17. Reminisce

'Remembering holds the key to all memories'

November 6th
Long Island, U.S.A
Camp Half Blood
5:00 AM
The Poseidon Cabin

««•••»»

Annabeth Chase was curious as to who it could be knocking on her door at this ungodly hour in the morning. Sitting up, she looked out of the window, seeing that it was still slightly dark outside.

She looked around the room, her gaze becoming glued to the beautifully framed picture that stood on the nightstand of the Poseidon cabin. The same picture that Aphrodite had given to her and Perseus as a gift, after the bravery they portrayed during the Giant War, 8 years ago.

She traced a finger along the outline of the photo, reminiscing about the time in her life that she was honestly happy. With Percy at her side, and no one else.
No person could ever fill the hole left in her heart for the former son of the sea god. It was Perseus or no one, and she knew that. This is the reason she refused to date for nearly the last decade. Because she always knew that one day, she would see him again, but what she did not expect, was for him to return with a flawless woman on his arm.

She had abandoned both Athena, and the Athena Cabin, and began to stay in the Poseidon compartment after the events of September 6th, seven years ago. Her mother was to blame for the monster he had become. Even with a wrongful conviction, she was certain that after his death by Zeus, he would at least find happiness in Elysium. But the Wisdom Goddess denied him even the slightest bit of decency in his already tragic life, and suggested his banishment to the pit where he could suffer at the highest level.

Annabeth still remembered the way he looked at her the very moment before he jumped into the passageway to Tartarus.

Hurt, Disgust, and Anger filled his face, and she wondered how she could have possibly made such a terrible decision by voting against him. But nothing about that day made sense. She had no desire to lift her hand on that day. Something else took control of her movements, and after her inquiries around the camp, the same could be said about the rest.

Since then, Annabeth had put together a theory on what it was that happened to them during that time, and she believed that she had solved that question, but without tangible evidence, her word meant nothing.

Part of her wanted nothing more than for it to be Perseus that stood at the doorstep right now. For him to walk in and take a look around the room that had stayed identical to the way he had left it. His Minotaur horn would catch his attention and he would put his hand on it and remember the way he fought when he was twelve years old. He would remember how selfless he was, to fight a creature that towered over him, having little to any knowledge on self defense. All for the safety of Grover and his mother.

Her mind would flash back to the way she insisted to care for him when he was found unconscious in the pouring rain with the satyr on his back, because from the moment she laid her eyes upon him, she knew that he was in her life to stay.

So many times he almost gave his life for the people he loved. So many times he proved his loyalty. Sending her and Grover into the elevator without him. Attempting to fight Echidna and her son, Chimera on his own. Jumping 630 feet off of the gateway arch, not to save himself, but to save the chances of succeeding on their quest.

She walked to the door, hoping with crossed fingers that her reverie would become reality, but to Annabeth's great disappointment, she was met by 10 awaiting forms on the doorstep of cabin 3, appearing to be as disheveled as she was, as if they were just awoken out of their beds.