Chapter 41

When lisa stepped out of the shower, jungkook, who had washed first, was already propped up against the bed. After she dried her wet hair, she glanced at his reflection in the mirror. He was staring at lisa, who was wearing a pair of sweatpants, as she dried her hair. His face as he watched her do various tasks was the same as it had been in high school.

"I heard you met with my father three years ago. Why didn't you tell me?" lisa asked quietly.

"...How did you know?" jungkook asked in a low voice.

"My father came to visit me today. He told me. Why didn't you tell me you met with him three years ago?"

"I didn't say anything because it wasn't anything good. What did your father say to you today?"

"I don't think I'll be seeing him very often from now on. You know how he is. It doesn't faze me anymore."

"......"

When he heard her calm voice, jungkook didn't say anything. They didn't meet very often now, so if she was saying this, it basically meant that she had been completely cut off.

"Let's go meet him. Let me introduce myself to your family, and let's try to properly have a talk with them. Let's receive his blessing." jungkook spoke with a determined look on his face.

"I don't want to."

"lisa." jungkook called her name in a pleading voice.

"I don't need it. I don't want to see him. Even if we went, nothing good would come out of it. We'd only hear the same things over and over again. I'd be hurt by those words, and so would you. I don't want that. I don't want to get hurt again. Especially not because of other people." lisa spoke firmly.

"It looks like he's still not accepting me." lisa kept her mouth shut.

Jungkook's mouth opened. After hesitating to say something, he closed it shut. Even though he had run all the way here, nothing had changed.

Jungkook looked hopeless. No one spoke. Once lisa turned off the hair dryer, a heavy silence filled the room.

Just as lisa opened her mouth to say something...

"...Sorry." jungkook's low voice apologized, breaking the silence.

"For what? What is there for you to be sorry about?" lisa asked. jungkook was slumped over as he stared at the floor.

"No matter how hard I try, I don't think your family will ever accept me."

"And why is that your fault? It just means that my father has strange standards." lisa turned around and gazed at jungkook. His eyes were still glued to the floor.

"And whether it was back then or now, I think I'm still being selfish."

"......"

"Like always, I can't make myself tell you to choose your family over me." jungkook's head drooped even lower.

As an orphan, he knew just how important family was. The security it brought...

The president of a hospital for a father, a wealthy household...

If lisa wanted, she could have lived a life that lacked for nothing. But she gave all of that up for him. And because of him, she had to go against her family once again.

Even if he could do everything else for her, he couldn't give her a new family. And he knew that, at one point, he'd have to return her to her family. But jungkook couldn't bring himself to let go of her. He didn't think he'd ever be able to.

Jungkook's fingertips began to tremble. He clenched his fist so that she wouldn't see this side of him.

"Jungkook." He could hear her steady footsteps grow closer. When he lifted his head, lisa was looking down at him. Her clear eyes were looking into his.

"Even if you tell me to go, I won't go. I chose you."

"......"

"I didn't choose to throw away my family. I chose to gain you."

So don't feel anxious. Don't feel sorry.

lisa stretched out her slender arms and wrapped them around his neck. She lowered her head and pressed her lips on Jungkook's forehead.

"I'm the one who should apologize. I only need you. I should have told you this earlier..." With her lips still pressed against his forehead, lisa whispered. If she had told him this, Jungkook wouldn't have been obsessed with success. They wouldn't have lost their way.

Jungkook felt her warm breath against his skin. lisa's lips began to travel down his forehead and stamped kisses down his nose. Finally, they reached his lips. Although they'd kissed hundreds of times, his heart began to race. He felt like he could smell the faint scent of the summer rain. Just like the time they kissed under the umbrella during a summer shower.

Jungkook's large hand wrapped around lisa's cheek. Her skin was still slightly damp from her shower. jungkook pulled her arms. lisa lost her balance and fell onto his bed. Jungkook kept his hand behind her head so that she wouldn't get hurt. Then he climbed on top of her.

"Say it again." jungkook murmured.

"Say what?"

"That you only need me." Jungkook held her tight as he spoke. His face was filled with anxiety.

You worked so hard to get rid of this anxiety. And I never even noticed.

lisa lifted her hand and wrapped them around jungkook's waist. She wanted to touch him a little more. Afraid that she'd deny his request, jungkook gazed down at her. lisa looked into his eyes and opened her lips.

"I only need you."

"......"

"Whether you're successful or not, no matter how you turn out... You're all I need, Jungkook. Ever since you gathered those cherry blossom petals and handed them to me, it's always been that way." She couldn't help it. Just as the cherry blossom petals fell to the ground, lisa's heart fell towards Jungkook's. And like that, their hearts belonged to the other.

"My love for you has never changed, Jeon Jungkook." lisa softly whispered in earnest. As she said these words, she pleaded.

Please let these words reach Jungkook's heart.

Jungkook's eyes looked into hers. Almost as if he couldn't believe it. It almost looked like he wanted to chew up every word she said and make it his own.

After biting his lips for a moment, jungkook lowered his head.

"Me too."

"......"

"...I'm the same way, Lalisa Manoban." He called out her name so lovingly. Then his lips touched hers. Their light kiss quickly deepened.