Chapter Fourteen

Two days before the invasion of the palace, the sewage base:
Rico spent the next three days wandering the base, adding to his map, which wasn't so mini anymore. The endless tunnels and meeting rooms were confusing, but Rico's tactical mind managed to keep it all straight.

Celeste mainly dealt with newcomers and refugees, she also did a lot of the basic scheduling for meetings, and planned gatherings.

Fiona led most of the meetings, Abraham by her side. One evening, Fiona stood, leaning over the railway of a balcony alcove, looking down at the crowd as they mingled, laughed, planned, and hurried on to their rooms for the night. Steady steps behind her made her glance back at Abraham, ascending the stone steps up onto the balcony. He stood next to her, casually leaning on the metal railway.

"Pretty sure the last time we were on a balcony like this, it was when we were interrogating Chairman Amstel," Abraham commented.

"With Gabby," Fiona agreed, for once not stumbling over her name. A man in a brown coat came up the stairs, holding two mugs of steaming liquid.

"As you requested, Abraham, Sir," he said gruffly. Abraham thanked him and gave him his boots in exchange.

"Did you just give him your boots?" Fiona asked, giggling.

"Well I had to repay him somehow, and he needed some new shoes. This isn't the palace, Fiona," Abraham explained, handing her a mug. Fiona smiled, but slowly her happiness faded, and she stared at the concrete ceiling, blinking hard.

"I am sorry. For how much you've given this," Fiona said, her hands cupped around the warm mug. "If this doesn't work, we both have thrown our lives away for nothing."

"Fiona," the confidence in Abraham's voice startled her. "I know we can do this, I'm not a guy to take risks-" he winked, "and you know I have put my whole heart into this, into you, because I believe in you."

"But what-" Fiona said.

"That's where I come in. If something happens to you, I'll step in. We're partners, Fiona, and I... I love you. I would do anything for you, and if you want to quit this whole thing now, I'd drop it with you. If you jumped off a cliff, I would jump off with you. If you ran into fire, I would battle the flames until I knew you were safe.

"So don't you worry about either of us. We can do this. You can do this. And nothing is going to stop us."

"Abraham," Fiona whispered, tears welling up in her eyes. She set the mug on the flat top of the rail, and threw her arms around Abraham, letting a few joyful tears slip from her eyes. Abraham seemed a little surprised, but returned the embrace.

"You know I want this," Fiona said, clearing her throat and pulling away to elbow's length. "And I would sacrifice it all for you."

Within the sewage base, in a meeting room:
Celeste tapped her fingers in sync on the wooden table. Long and rectangular, she sat silently, Rico at her side, Abraham and Fiona at the opposite end. There were other people in the meeting room, and they were reviewing plans and assigning group leaders for the invasion of the palace.

Celeste didn't often speak at these meetings, just listened intently and only spoke if she felt her input was necessary. Rico did the same. Fiona and Abraham however, lead the majority of the meetings. One of the other adults in the room would open the meeting, and fill in the attendees of the latest updates on the rebellion. After that, Fiona would lay out any future plans or ideas, and everyone else would make suggestions and edits to their queen's ideas.

This meeting had opened the same, and was becoming very productive and more interactive by the minute. The current decision was to travel by water, as it was the fastest route and was the least populated by humans.

They were currently deciding how to best cross the river route they were planning to take, but were having difficulty finding something that worked well with their small militia.

"Perhaps we could use rafts, and then have riders paddle their way downstream?" Rico suggested, speaking for the first time at this meeting. There were a couple nods around the table, and Rico seemed satisfied with his input.
"But how would you get that many rafts? And they can't be too easy to maneuver," Someone commented. Celeste tapped her chin.

"We could split everyone into waves, or fleets if you prefer to say," Celeste thought aloud, then realized she was speaking and finished her thought, "We could send a small group of canoes to be the scouting fleet, and then the rafts to carry the largest amount of people. After that we could use our steamboat to haul the last of us, and maybe the Queen could be part of the grand finale as well?" Celeste finished.

"That sounds like it would work," Abraham agreed.

"Yes, but I would prefer to be with the first wave of boats. I want to lead my people, not cower in the back," Fiona said. Celeste nodded, as did many others.

"Are there any other details we need to go over that we have not yet reviewed?" Asked Abraham.

"I believe that's it," said someone sitting two seats to Celeste's left. Everyone nodded.

"Adjourned," Fiona concluded. "We leave in three days then, so we have time to gather the last of our supplies."

Everyone rose, shook hands and made small talk as they slowly left the room. Celeste walked out with Fiona, and they descended the stairway from the room heading towards the main hall for dinner.

"You know, as you're my sister, you don't have to call me your queen," Fiona told her sister. "I appreciate the show of respect, but as you are family I don't think it's necessary," she commented.

"Does that mean Abraham is exempt from calling you by your royal title too?" Celeste teased. Fiona laughed a little, and bumped Celeste with her shoulder. Celeste stumbled a little, and grinned wide.

They arrived at the main hall, the podium in front being prepared for an announcement. Slightly more formal, Fiona bid Celeste goodbye and headed to the front. As queen, she was given charge of all announcements and meetings. Now, she stepped up and pressed the ring button, silencing the crowd.

She spoke clearly and with authority; three days until the invasion, and the countdown had begun.

Sorry for such a short chapter, I know it's also pretty uneventful, but the next one is big! Thanks for viewing!