Chapter 18 - Talking for Hours

***** Dylan's Point of View *****

Brenley slipped her hand into mine and I led the way out onto the dance floor and then turned to face her, resting my hands on her waist.

She looked up at me and stifled a laugh before whispering so that the other couples dancing around us couldn't hear. "It's so weird dancing with you in that disguise."

"Just close your eyes and picture you're dancing with the real me," I whispered back and she slowly closed her eyes, resting her hands on my shoulders as we started swaying back and forth to the calypso music. It felt like we were on a tropical island, especially with the ocean and the beach behind us.

"If seeing me in this disguise is so weird for you, why did you want me to wear one?" I whispered, resting my cheek against the top of her head as we danced.

She turned her head to the side and laid it against my chest with her eyes still closed.

"Because, I figured being a celebrity has to get old after a while. I wanted you to remember what it feels like to be a normal person, to be able to relax without having to worry about paparazzi taking our picture or writing an article about us."

That was the most thoughtful thing she could have said. I don't know how she knew, but I really needed this. I had been under so much stress and pressure lately and this day actually made me feel a lot better.

It was refreshing to feel normal again for a while, even if it was only temporary. I took a deep breath in and let it out, looking around at the other couples dancing that weren't paying any attention to us, which never happened when I was out.

"You're right. It's been a long time since I've felt this relaxed out in public. It's nice."

That made her smile. "You seemed really happy today. Seeing that was way better than a pedicure and a shopping spree."

"I never thought I'd hear a woman say that," I laughed.

She shook her head with a smile. "You've been around L.A. women too long then," she laughed. "To tell you the truth, I'd rather spend my money on a new book and some good, quality coffee any day."

I nodded and said, "That's a good choice. For me, I'd rather spend my money on car stuff, fixing up the house, or a vacation."

"Yeah, those are good choices too."

I smiled down at her as I held her against me and swayed back and forth to the music. Having her there felt so good that I found myself wishing that she didn't have to leave in two days to go back to Iowa. I was tempted to ask her to stay longer, because I wanted more time to get to know her.

But if she did stay, I was afraid this place would change her. She was so sweet and innocent and had such a good heart, but spending too much time in Hollywood around celebrities would change that and I couldn't stand the thought of Brenley changing.

She would probably say no anyways. She hated Hollywood and the fact that I was a celebrity, but I couldn't really blame her. After seeing all the things I had seen through the years, I couldn't fault anyone for not wanting to live there. It wasn't for everyone, but I really wished that she would stay anyway, for me.

I couldn't ask her to do that though, knowing how miserable she would be. Every instinct in my body was begging me to ask her not to leave, but I couldn't be that selfish.

 Every instinct in my body was begging me to ask her not to leave, but I couldn't be that selfish