71

this is where it begins again

STEFAN MET ATHENA AT THE DOOR, HIS ARMS COMING UP TO WRAP AROUND HER FRAME. She leaned her weight against him, her eyes bloodshot and burning as shivers wracked through her body, her hair, and clothes still dripping on the floor beneath her feet. He didn't care about it as she soaked the front of him, feeling her tremble for reasons he knew weren't just because she was cold.

"What happened, Athena?"

She glances up, looking past Stefan to where everyone else stood, concern marring their faces at her state.

"I," She stopped, clearing her throat of its hoarseness. "I killed her. She's dead. Elena is dead."

Shock passed all of their faces, and for a moment, relief. But that spell broke when Rebekah stepped forward, her bright eyes already shining with emotion.

"What about Finn?"

Athena swallowed roughly, her throat tightening threateningly. "I'm sorry," She shook her head, watching the shudder of pain pass over Rebekah's face as the realization hit the rest of them. "I'm so sorry. I didn't get there in time."

Rebekah turns to her brother and buries her face in his chest, and Klaus silently wraps his arm around her, his face solemn but stony as he holds his composure.

Elijah straightens his suit jacket and clears his throat, giving Athena a small, understanding smile that is painfully forced. "It's alright, Athena, we understand. In the end, he died for us, which is something he never would have done if he hadn't known your strength or the depth of your care for us. You gave my brother a bit of humanity back, and that's all he ever wanted."

Athena nods silently and turns her head, looking away from the Original as she tries to clear the tears blurring her vision.

Before the dam can break again, Athena inhales sharply and forces her tears back, pushing out of Stefan's hold to turn to Damon.

"Damon, I need you to do something for me,"

The vampire looked down at her, brows furrowing confusedly as he eyed her forced state of calm. "What is it?"

"Compel Jeremy," Her words garner instant refusal but she holds a hand up, silently pleading for him to hear her out. When he quiets again, she drops her hand and clenches it into a fist. "I– I don't care what you say, just make sure he forgets about all of this and forgets about Mystic Falls."

"Athena," Damon sighed, a pitying look shining in his eyes. "Are you sure? He was helping Elena, he helped Mikael get to you– he wasn't exactly an innocent bystander."

"I know. But he did it for his family, and I can understand that. If he doesn't get out now, he'll end up just like Elena did and he deserves a better chance at life than any of us got." Swallowing, she glances to the Originals, and then to where her brother, Iris and Alex are standing. "You shouldn't have to pay for your family's mistakes."