Letter #1

Dear Marjorie,

I thought about you last night, standing alone on the first floor balcony of your estate. All I could feel was the night air nipping at my skin and the pounding of my heart. Standing there, staring blankly at the somber night sky, tears fell cleanly from my face but I felt nothing at all. I wish you had been there so I wouldn't have been alone; not only on that balcony but also in understanding my decision. And even if you couldn't understand, I know you would have been there for me regardless.

It has been quite a while since I've felt I should write to you, so allow me to pick up where I left off. I recall I rambled on and on about my feelings regarding Mr. Booker - Oleander - and I just want to thank for for all of the advice you've given to me over the years. It's proved rather helpful regarding my decision making lately.

Last night I was proposed to by Oleander. I said no. Marjorie, I said no! Well, actually, I didn't say anything at all. To be honest, I'm not sure if that's even worse. Everything was fine until he got down on one knee, and I froze. I... I didn't know what to do. It was like my life flashed before my eyes and all I could do was stare at him, eyes wide and mouth slightly ajar. All the time we had spent together this last year swirled in my brain and it finally took a proposal for marriage to make me realize the truth. In that moment, there was only one thing I could do. I turned and left. I left him on his knees all alone in front of everyone. Their stares burned hotter than the tears which threatened to spill from my eyes.

A bottle of wine returned to a rest on the dining table. Hands stopped short of clapping in celebration. Heels clicked down the cobblestone steps.

I made my way to the subway station in silence before blending in with the bustling crowds returning home from their sweet summer celebrations. Mum was out working when I arrived at your estate, and I found myself in front of your doorway, exactly where I would go when I was small. That's when I thought of you on that balcony. I'm not sure how long I stood there, weeping and wishing you were still alive to comfort me.

Perhaps I really do belong in a madhouse.

Love, Willow