Chapter 33: Unwanted Goodbyes

Unwanted Goodbyes

~~~

Steve and I jump onto the roof before walking to the edge. "Two minutes. Stay close," he says in the earpiece to Lyon, Clint, and Natasha as they fly away in the Quinjet.

"Damn," I say as I see the laboratory we have to go to.

"Let's go," Steve says before running and jumping on to the next roof. I sigh before following him.

"What happened on the Quinjet?" Steve asks as we continue making our way to the laboratory.

"Nothing of importance," I tell him as I slide down a roof.

"It seemed important," Steve says, "You weren't responding to any of us."

"Nothing happened Rogers. Let's focus on taking care of Ultron first," I tell him.

I can feels Steve's eyes on me, but I pay no attention to him. We soon make our way into the laboratory and look through the rooms. Most of the rooms are a mess with medical supplies and other tech scattered on the ground.

Steve and I are running when we see Helen Cho laying on the ground. "Dr. Cho," Steve says running over to her.

I grab a towel and press it on her wound. "He's uploading himself into the body," Dr. Cho tells us.

"Where?" Steve asks as I grab a bandage and wrap it around her wound.

"The real power is inside the Cradle," she tells us, "The gem, its power is uncontainable. You can't just blow it up. You have to get the Cradle to Stark."

"First, we have to find it," I tell her as I finish up bandaging her wound.

"Go," Dr. Cho tells us.

"Did you guys copy that?" Steve says into the earpiece before running. I go to follow when Dr. Cho grabs my hand.

"Thank you," she tells me and I nod.

I quickly follow Steve out. "We did," Clint responds.

"I got a private jet taking off across town," Natasha tells us and Steve and I glance at each other, "No manifest. That could be him."

"There. It's a truck from the lab," Clint says, "Right above you guys. On the loop by the bridge. It's them. You got three with the Cradle, one in the cab. I could take out the driver."

"Don't do that, Barton," I tell him as Steve and I climb up a later.

"If that truck crashes, the gem could level the city. We need to draw out Ultron," Steve says.

Steve and I quickly get on top of the bridge on the highway. "Let's go," Steve says as the truck turns the corner below us. We quickly turn and jump off before landing on the truck.