Bonus Chapter: Graduation

2 years later, Sunday May 9th

Two years later and I'm finally here. I finally get to graduate. Graduation is the best day for some people. You get to graduate with your best friends. All my friends are scattered around Kenan Stadium.

I never went to a football game. They went 3-5. After Chase got drafted, basketball here was never the same for me. I mean Gabe was now an every game starter, but it just didn't feel right. I was known as Chase's girl.

It was awkward going to the games because I was always put on the big screens. I already hate attention.

I've been apartment shopping in New York. Everything in New York is so expensive. Not to mention the price to get my car shipped to New York. So it looks like I'll be driving my things eight hours. I'll be bringing my dog too so that means I'll have to had more hours to the trip for potty breaks. Not to mention apartments in New York are expensive if you include you have a pet.

Planning graduation has been a mess. I invited my family because I'm there daughter and they probably want to see me graduate. I invited Chase's family because they're my family now. I mean they're literally the best. And anytime Chase's is talking to them he never fails to mention as soon as I turn twenty-four I will be engaged. 

That's our plan to be married at twenty-five. I never said an engagement at twenty-four. I said married at twenty-five.

I went back and forth on inviting my parents and siblings but Chase talked me into it. He said if I was debating it I probably want to invite them deep down inside. He was right because if I never invited them I would be mad at myself.

Chase didn't know if he could make it and I totally understood. I mean the NBA still plays basketball in May. My heart would have been broken if he couldn't have made it, but lucky me my superstar's team sucks.

This is the only time I wish his team sucks and other season I wish the best. I'm just so happy they suck and he can be here to watch me walk across the stage.

I'm currently standing here in line waiting for my name to be called.

The crowd is huge.

Is this what the football players feel like?

I was not this nervous for my high school graduation.

Maybe I'm so nervous because it's the end of a decade and the beginning of age.

"Taylor Rae Lawson." Was that my name? I'm snapped out of my thoughts when I realize no one is in front of me and I need to go get my degree.

There's lots of clapping for me and of course there was my Chase who stood up in the bleachers so I could see him. Once I spotted him making my way back to my seat and we locked eyes he held up one finger and then four and then three. I love you.

So I held up one finger, then four, then three. I love you too Chase.

I didn't like the extra clapping I got. Half the people who clapped for me never talked to me until they found out me and Chase were dating and then once he got drafted, they dropped me. It wasn't like I was talking to them regularly, but when I would see them in the library they'd just act like I was a nobody. Since Chase is here I guess it's let's act like we're Taylor's friend day.

I just graduated. My next adventure begins.

Everyone agreed to meet up tonight we were all going to go out and celebrate be graduates of UNC.

Once we are all dismissed I look around for any sight of Chase, but I don't see him or his family. Or mine.

"Taylor!" I hear my name but I don't know that voice. When I turn around I see a girl dressed the same as me. In a cap and gown. "We should take a picture together." She suggests. I just give her a strange look. "You remember me right? Rachel. I know Chase. Or knew. He introduced us. Anyways let's take a picture. It's gonna go on my Instagram graduation dump. With you in my picture I'll get so many likes."

I just stare at her dumbfounded. I've only spoke to this girl once in my three years at this college.

"There you are." I know that voice. That's my superstar. My future. My everything. My Chase.

"Hey."

"Hey. I've been trying to find you. Everyone's this way." He says pulling me away from Rachel.

"Wait! We were going to take a picture."

"No thanks Raquel. She's busy." Chase says as we walk away.

"That's not her name." I tell him and he's just shrugs it off.

When we make our way over to my family and his it's definitely awkward. I don't know what to say to them.

It's clear as day they didn't seat by each other in the bleachers and my family is just standing there looking at Chase up and down. Hard core judging him. "Hi. I'm Chase, Taylor's boyfriend. I would introduce you to my family but my mom says you already know each other." He introduces himself extending his hand to each of my family members.

I don't hear what my family says to them but Chase pulls my dad off to the side. "Let's go talk Mr. Lawson." That's strange. What are they talking?

As they go to talk my mom pulls me in a hug. "I'm so proud of you. I'm so sorry for everything. Please forgive me and if you don't let's at least have a nice conversation on the phone or in person.
What your plan next?"

"New York. I'll be moving to New York."

"Let's take pictures." Mrs. Jackson's suggests. As Chase and my dad make their way back to us.

Chase's father flags down a stranger so we can take a group picture.

"What was that all about?" I whisper. As Chase comes to stand by my side for the group picture.

"You'll find out soon enough." He whispers back. "Ready for New York. It's been waiting for you."

Did he just quote Taylor Swift's Welcome to New York? What am I gonna find out soon enough?

_______
6/8/22
9:17am
Not edited!