friend

(I feel like I'm slowly not following the plot correctly, but eventually everything will make sense.)

__

A week until the apocalypse

FIVE 

The memory of Y/N in the future has been preserved in my head, festering wounds that never fully closed—attacking the front and back of my brain all the damn time. I search every inch of my mind for a further clue. Vanya causes the apocolapse, is what Y/N told me then. But that doesn't make any sense. How, why—it's just not possible. 

"Control my powers," Y/N mutters under her breath as she stands at the top of the stairs that lead down to the basement. The very basement she spent most of her life in. "Control. Control. Control." She bites her lip three times—hard. Closes her eyes. Squeezes her fingernails into her palm. 

Her eyes, though they are tired, aren't dull. They're still shining—like the stars. Y/N always appreciated the beauty of the world, even though it feels like the world is constantly trying to knock her off the edge. 

"Y/N," how to find the words. How to find the words. I don't blame you for what happened. I don't blame you for what's going to happen. I need you. I lo—

"Shh," she whispers. Closes her eyes. "I'm going to control the fear dust." Fear dust. It's what she used to call it. She spreads her palms, hands clammy. Her favourite time of day was night because she could see the stars. My favourite time of day was night because that was the only time she didn't wear her sunglasses. Her eyes. Brighter than stars. 

Black dust emits from the palms of her hands, slowly floating into the air. A mannequin that stands in front of her is about to take the blow of her powers. It reminds me of Dolores. 

"Okay, good," I murmur. I raise my voice slightly so she can hear me. "Now. Bring it back." 

Y/N clenches her jaw. I can hear the shudder in her chest as she attempts to control her own darkness. Her pupils fade. Turn the dark shade of onyx. Completely covered with black. The mannequin explodes into nothingness. 

"Number Five," the harsh voice shouts. I am called down to Father's office again. I smooth out the surface of my uniform. "Number Five I will not call again!" 

My shoes make tiny marks on the wood floor as I enter the room. 

"Yes?" 

He peers over his monocle at me. Studies my face. "I need you to do something for me." He narrows his eyes. "Go spend some time with Number 8. She is waiting for you downstairs." His facial expression is sharp. "The rest of the children are scared of her. I expect better from you." 

I nod briefly. Walk out of the room. Down to the basement. It's dark down there—Y/N must be scared all the time. 

She's sitting on the tiny cot wearing only a tiny nightgown. Her uniform is nowhere to be found. She is shaking, either from cold or fear. 

"No," Y/N shakes her head. "No. No. No. Don't come near me. Please." she reaches for her sunglasses, hastily putting them on. "Go away, Five." 

Y/N. Her name sounds satisfying in my mind. Grace, or Mom I guess named Y/N first. Y/N and Vanya got their names first. I on the other hand, haven't got a name yet. I wonder what my name will be. I've always liked the name Aidan. Or Nicolas, I guess. 

"I'm not scared of you," I say quickly, stepping towards her. She huddles back at the end of the cot, shying away from me. "I'll never be afraid of you."

She sniffles. Twelve years old with powers beyond her control. Pain is etched in her face. 

"Really?" 

I move closer. Reach out and take her sunglasses off. Y/N keeps her eyes shut tight. 

"Open your eyes," we've been through this before. Every time—I always tell her I trust her. She lets me in slowly. Bit by bit until she's convinced. 

Her eyelids flutter open. The most beautiful eyes ever. 

"Y/N" I say quietly. 

"Yes, Five?" 

"I...kind of like you," I  blurt. Stupid, stupid stupid. Why did I say that?  She  blinks with confusion. 

"Like?"  

"Yeah," I answer. 

"I like you too," she says confusedly. "You're my best friend." 

My lips part. "Yeah. Yeah. Best friends." 

Best friends. Nothing more.