A Surprise Inspection

'Come on Bagsy,' Mezrielda encouraged her, grabbing the end of her robe's sleeve and giving it a tug. Bagsy gestured down the corridor silently. She and Mezrielda had been on their way to that morning's double Charms lesson but Bagsy had noticed Professor Starrett and Professor Fitzsimmons having a heated discussion on their way.

Starret, arms folded, glowered at Fitzsimmons. 'They won't be here for a while yet, they're not allowed to set off until after we've received their letter notifying us of the inspection, and we've only just been given it. We have time to prepare,' she insisted, uncrossing her arms to wave a letter with the Ministry's seal on it in Fitzsimmons face.

Fitzsimmons didn't look convinced. 'Our enemies must be closer than we first thought. I saw him enter the castle but a moment ago, though he didn't notice the moth that fluttered by him on its way to you.' Starrett narrowed her eyes in deep concern at this. 'Deal with him. I know you can, Emese. I must warn the other professors,' Fitzsimmons said, before abruptly turning into a moth and flying away.

Bagsy felt a sinking in her stomach.

'We should hurry to the classroom,' Mezrielda murmured ominously, looking cautiously over to Starrett, who hadn't noticed them loitering yet but would the second she'd decide to turn and hurry to the classroom.

'Yeah,' Bagsy agreed.

They found themselves seats near the back and got prepared for the lesson.

Strangely, Winifred came and sat in the seat in front of them. 'I wonder how you're going to piss of Starrett this time,' Winifred teased, putting her feet nonchalantly on the table in front of her and leaning back in her chair, placing her hands behind her bald head. 'I can shoot some fire at her if she gets too annoying,' Winifred offered. 'Can't let anyone walk all over my favourite Hufflepuff, now, can I?'

'Uh, please don't,' Bagsy managed to force out. She didn't like Starrett but she didn't want her roasted, either. Even so, Bagsy did feel a warmth that Winifred was even willing to offer to do such a thing for her.

With a click-clack Starret swept into the classroom with a face like thunder. She had barely made it half way into the room, not bothering to utter a word, before a guest followed after her. Murmurs of concern waved through the classroom as the third years' eyes found themselves on the tall figure of Mr Mortem, made only more looming when next to the short Starrett.

'If you're here to witness the most incompetent student at Hogwarts you've come to the right place. Miss Beetlehorn is in this class,' Starrett spat bitterly at Mr Mortem. Why she found now a good time to insult her, yet again, Bagsy didn't know.

Mr Mortem said, 'If you dislike a student then I have little reason to investigate them. We both know the main threats are any students who take you and your ideologies seriously, Emese.' Starrett looked at Mortem with open offense, until her face was turned away from him and Bagsy swore she saw a flash of relief, as if Starrett had successfully balanced a hundred playing cards into the structure of a tower. 'Besides, I actually had someone else in mind,' Mr Mortem explained, his eyes beginning to scan over the other students, starting with the rows on the opposite side from Bagsy.

Mezrielda looked down at Winifred, who was sitting in front of them, and then up at Bagsy, an urgent worry playing in her eyes. It took Bagsy a second to understand what her friend had already realised – Mortem was here for Winifred. If he pricked her finger now, or did any kind of test on her, she would be discovered as a phoenix borne. They had but seconds until Mr Mortem would be looking their way – and Winifred's bald head wasn't exactly inconspicuous. In fact, it would be exactly what Mr Mortem would be looking for. Without thinking, Bagsy swept Mezrielda's hair up into one of her hands and with the other thrust her head forward.