Chapter 13

Emory

Today is my coronation and to say I'm a nervous wreck would be an understatement.

"You've got to stop fidgeting dear."

"I'm sorry."

I tried my best to stop fidgeting so the seamstress could finish altering my dress, but I was so nervous.

"You'll be great," Lauren assured me.

She, Annalise, Shauna, and Marianne had come to help me get ready. I wanted to see Brenden, but I wasn't allowed to until the coronation. It was kind of like a human wedding. I haven't seen Brenden since last night when he kissed me goodbye.

"I'll see you tomorrow my Queen," he'd said, making me blush.

The seamstress was finally done and took my gown away to finish it.

Once she was gone, the girls ushered me into the bathroom. Lauren filled the tub with water and added all sorts of bath salts and even rose petals.

I soaked until the water turned cold and Annalise wrapped me up in a big fluffy towel. I slipped on a robe and then sat down to get my hair done. Lauren twisted, braided, curled, and pinned my hair. She settled on a fancy updo with a few curls loose to frame my face. Annalise did my makeup for me. She made me look like royalty and I guess after today, I would be.

The girls left to get ready and it was just me and Marianne. She ushered me forward to three jewelry boxes.

"What's this?" I asked.

"You have to pick your crown," Marianne told me.

I didn't know I got to pick. I guess I never really thought about it.

Marianne opened the first box and a silver crown sat upon a satin pillow. It was round and was decorated with diamonds. It was gorgeous.

The next box contained a gold crown with emeralds decorating it. It was equally enchanting, but it felt too dark for my fair skin.

Finally, Marianne opened the last box and I gasped. It was perfect. The gold and the clear stones were perfect. I reached out and brushed my fingers against it.

"I thought you'd like that one," Marianne said with a smile. "It was my grandmother's."

"You're ok with me wearing it?" I asked.

"I've always wanted my daughter to wear it and now you are."

I was struggling not to cry at Marianne's words. I didn't know what to say so I hugged her.

"Thank you...Mom"

Marianne hugged me harder before pulling back. She rested a hand on my cheek.

"I've always wanted another daughter. I'm so happy to have you."

"I haven't had a mom in years," I admitted.

"You do now."

Marianne hugged me one more time and then pulled back to "get back to business". The seamstress had dropped my dress off and now all I had to do was get dressed and make it to the throne room.

Shauna came back and helped me get into the gown. I truly got to see it for the first time. I was wearing a beautiful turquoise halter gown with puffed sleeves that fell off of my shoulders. The dress was accented with gold all the way down and when I looked in the mirror, I truly felt like a queen.

"You look beautiful," Shauna whispered in my ear. "Are you ready?"

I nodded and followed Marianne and Shauna to the doors of the throne room. Marianne slipped inside to sit down, leaving me with Shauna.