Chapter 17

Emory

Brenden is taking the day off for a family day. It's nice outside after a week of rain so we are going to go for a walk.

Luca is very excited, running around the suite on his little legs. I was running after him trying to put some sunscreen on.

He's been here for almost two weeks and has really started to relax around us. He's wary around strangers still, but with our family and friends, he's a whole new kid.

"Ok Luca, I'll make you a deal," I said. "If you let me put your sunscreen on, you can get an extra five minutes of TV time."

Luca tapped his finger on his chin dramatically, thinking about it.

"Ok," he said and we shook hands to seal the deal.

"Bribing the four year old?" My mate asked from where he'd appeared in the doorway.

"Yes."

I wasn't afraid to admit it. If it works, it works. I'll figure out good parenting eventually, but he needs his sunscreen.

Brenden laughed and helped me lather the cream onto Luca's face, arms, and legs.

"Where's your sunscreen Mommy?" Luca asked with some sass.

"I already put mine on."

"You need more," he said and smeared a huge glob of sunscreen down my leg.

He and Brenden started laughing as I tried to keep a straight face. It didn't work and I joined in on the laughing.

I rubbed in my extra sunscreen and gave Luca a kiss on the cheek.

"Let's go."

Luca took one of my hands and one of Brenden's and we walked outside together.

Luca had so much fun running around and exploring. He kept pointing things out to us like birds, and flowers, and trees. It was adorable.

We eventually found our way to the creek and Luca loved splashing around with us. Me and him teamed up and started a splash war against Brenden who fought back ferociously. We were all drenched by the end.

On the way back to the pack house, Luca got tired so Brenden shifted and carried him home in his wolf form. He was purring softly as Luca snuggled into his fur.

I felt content with life. I had a perfect mate, a beautiful son, and the best friends I could ever ask for.

Life was perfect. I could only hope it would stay that way.