Epilogue

Emory

It's been two years and I've never been better.

It took a long time to truly accept Luca's passing and start to move on, but we did. We still thought of him every day and visited his grave often, but the pressure in my chest had lestened and happiness had seeped back in.

Brenden was right, we were ok. More than ok. And it was all thanks to my beautiful son. He sacrificed himself to save me and in return gave me so much more than simply my life. He gave me the chance for more.

I looked down at my big belly that held the most precious gift and silently thanked Luca.

I felt a tightness in my belly that made my breath hitch. At first I thought it was a sign that Luca had heard me, but it turned out to be a different sign and I realized that when my water broke.

"Brenden!" I called out through clenched teeth.

He ran in from the living room. He'd been working from the suite for the past month, refusing to leave me for even a minute.

Brenden looked from my face to the pool of liquid at my feet and back to my face.

"It's happening?" He asked.

"Yeah," I panted out through another contraction.

I held out my hand to Brenden and he took it, allowing me to squeeze it tightly.

Brenden called the pack doctor and told her we were coming. Then he lifted my heavily pregnant self into his arms as if I weighed nothing and walked swiftly to the hospital wing.

The doctor was waiting when we arrived and Brenden set me down in the bed that had been prepared.

"Ahh," I groaned as another contraction came.

I squeezed Brenden's hand tightly as the pain passed and if it hurt, he didn't let on in the slightest. He just situated himself behind me so I was resting on his chest and let me crush his hand.

"You're doing great love," he told me and I grunted in response.

Another contraction came and it was by far the worst.

"Ok Emory," the doctor said from her place between my legs. "You're ready to start pushing."

I screamed as I pushed and collapsed back against Brenden's chest.

"Good Emory. Again."

I pushed again and Brenden whispered encouragements in my ear, telling me how good I was doing. He used a towel and wiped the sweat off my brow before I had to push again.

"One more Emory," the doctor said.

"Ahhhh."

And then the most beautiful wail filled up the room.

"It's a girl."

Tears filled my eyes as my baby girl was placed in my arms. I looked up at Brenden and he was smiling down at me and the baby with pure adoration in his eyes.

"You did perfect," he said and gave me a kiss.

"What's her name?" The doctor asked.

I looked at Brenden and then down at my baby girl.

"Lucille."

For her big brother watching over her in the sky.