Seventh Year // Chapter 10

December 24th, 1997

"Lorrinda? Lorrinda, are you there?" a hushed voice came from the door. I slowly sat up and rubbed my eyes, as it was just about nightfall, or it was nightfall, no one knew what the exact time was anymore due to the little sunlight we got and the no conversation we had when the food was dropped off each mealtime. 

"Weasley! Wake up!" the hushed voice whispered once again. This time, I got up to my feet and waddled my way over to the door. Barely missing the hands of Dean and the little feet of Luna, as they were laying on the floor as well, locked in deep slumbers. Once I got through their obstacle course of limbs, I got to the door and saw that the hushed whispers belonged to none other than, Draco!

"Malfoy? What are you doing here?!" I whispered harshly. "If you get caught down here, you could -"

"Could be hurt, or worse. I know, Lorrinda." Draco replied, cutting me off. "Mother wanted me to wait, but I just couldn't." Draco reached into the pocket of his suit jacket and pulled out a small card and a box. 

"What is this, Draco?" I said taking them as he slipped them through the bars. "My birthday isn't for months."

"Yeah, but Christmas is tomorrow," Draco spoke sadly, instantly looking down to the stone stairs that lay under his feet. I frowned slightly, not that is Christmas and I was stuck in an awful cellar underneath Malfoy Manor, but because Draco was feeling guilty. I reached through the door and placed my hand on his shoulder. 

"You have no need to feel guilty for anything that has come about. You are in no way to blame for what I have been through." I move my hand to his chin so I could lift his eyes up to look into mine. "I was the one who was foolish, you are just a casualty in this war." Draco was about to respond when running footsteps were heard coming towards the stairs. 

"Draco?! Draco, you mustn't be down here!" Narcissa's voice came from the top. "Your father will be coming home any moment and if he sees you out of your room -"

"I'm just finishing up, Mother," Draco replied. He took my hand and kissed it before turning and running up the stairs. Once both Malfoy's were out of view, I slunk my way back through the maze of people and sat down with my back pressed against a wall. I slowly opened up the small card and my eyes strained to read what is said in the darkness.

Happy Christmas Lorrinda! 

I do wish you were able to celebrate with your family, as Christmas is best celebrated with family, but sadly due to your own foolishness, that is impossible to happen at this proper moment. I hope, however, that this gift makes up for some of the joy lost on the dismal Christmas. Now, I am no artist, and I was just working on memory but I tried my best and I hope you like it. 

Happy Christmas, Lori.

I placed the card on the floor and slowly opened the box. Inside was nothing other than a small painting. Even in the darkness, I could tell it was supposed to be a photo of my brothers and me after a Quidditch Match. I figured I would be able to see it better in the daytime, so I crawled over to the far back corner and found the loose brick Dean found days earlier. Once the gift from Draco was tucked away, I made my way back over to my place near Dean and laid back down. I must have bumped him, as he stirred.

"You okay, GingerSnap?" he muttered.

"Yeah, Dean. I'm okay." I said, laying down on the stone floor next to him. "Just couldn't sleep, that's all. It's insanely chilly down here."

"C'mere," he said lifting up his arm. I rolled over under his arm and he pulled me in. "Better?"

"Better. Thanks, Dean." I said as I snuggled into his body, absorbing his body heat. Now, before anyone freaks out, that is not cheating! Having sex and making a baby would be cheating, snuggling up with each other to be warm is NOT CHEATING! Besides, Dean is in love with Seamus and we are just best friends.

The night went by quickly and the next thing we knew, we were woken up by Pettigrew bringing our shitty excuse for a morning breakfast. This time, with some more words.

"Breakfast ... and Happy Christmas," he said before turning and walking up the stairs. Once he was gone we all converged around the silver tray littered with food and divided it out as equally as we could. It was more than normal, some candy was tossed into a small bowl and some better-looking fruit on the tray than the normal almost rotting fruit we had been given up until this point. 

"Did Narcissa do this?" asked Dean taking a bar of small chocolate from the bowl.

"Probably. Even though she is married to that awful prick Lucius ... she is a caring mother, not only to her son ... but to those he can call friends." I said taking a bite of a green apple.

"Well glad you happen to be a friend of his then," Dean said grabbing another candy and placing it in his mouth. 

"Hey, don't hog all the candy, Thomas." I laughed putting the bowl closer to Ollivander and Luna. The two of us exchanged more witty friendship banter back and forth, but that ended as the door closed. We all turned to see Lucius Malfoy standing with Bellatrix Lestrange in the doorway. 

"Well, aren't you all just having a wonderful Christmas?" Malfoy's cold voice spoke as he walked further into the cellar. At once, all the torches that had remained unlit for our entire stay so far burned brightly, illuminating their evil faces. Dean wrapped his arm around me and pulled me closer. Bellatrix saw this and let out a cackling laugh.

"Awe is baby Lori scared? Is she worried she will end up like dear ole Ceddy Diggory?"

"SHUT UP!" Dean shouted. "YOU HAVE NO RIGHT -" Dean got cut off as Bellatrix stormed over and picked him up by the collar of his shirt. 

"How dare you speak to me! You filthy, lowlife!" Bella threw Dean onto the stone ground. As I heard his body hit the stone floor, rage boiled up in my heart and I nonverbally attacked her. I sent her flying back to the wall. Once she was on the floor I went to Dean's side and helped him sit up.

"How did she do that?! HOW?!!" Bella screamed coming toward me. She was just about to pull out her wand when a calm voice called from the stairs. 

"Now, now Bella," Bellatrix turned to look at the person in the doorway, and I was able to see who it was. "We have our orders, she is not to be touched." 

"Severus, she is -"

"Our greatest option at getting Harry Potter drawn out of hiding. His love for her is strong, though brotherly ... he will go to any lengths to keep her safe."

"You're wrong!" I shouted. "Harry wouldn't be dumb enough to come to find me! He is on a mission, and nothing will stop him from it."

"Not even if his best friend begs about finding his twin?" Snape questioned, with a smirk forming on his face. Though at that moment, I felt something enter my head, almost a voice. 

Play along, Lorrinda. I'm saving your life here. Narcissa and I are the only ones keeping you alive.

I bowed my head and Dean wrapped his arms around me again. Lucius, Bellatrix and Snape all left the dungeons, luckily the torches stayed burning so we had more light to see each other with. I was trying to stay brave for my best friend, but suddenly I just started crying. I must've cried for hours as, by the time I was done, a lunch tray had already been brought down. 

"Lori, we're going to be okay," Dean reassured me as I grabbed some more bread. "Someone will come to save us soon. I can feel it."

"I hope you're right Dean." I took a bite of the bread. "I hope you're right."

A/N: Hello all my lovely readers! I am so sorry about the lack of updates but my personal life went to complete turmoil. I moved to my college dorms for the summer (so I can work on campus and save money for the rest of my schooling), and then I had my college courses that completely controlled my life. One of my best friends had a beautiful baby boy which also took my time away from writing to help her during this time of her life. Now that I have one less class to worry about and my friend is doing well on her own, I should be back to updating as normal. So sorry about the lack of updates, please feel free to voice your frustrations (if you have any) in the comments.

Much love!

~ Abby