Chapter Thirty-one: Owen Harrison

Marcus's hands shake. He knew what his father would tell him wouldn't make him sit and relax. Even when he was trying to tell himself that whatever his father will tell him will not be good and that he should be prepared, no prep talk was enough for him. He had an idea what it could be, but still, the news of Owen trying to fight cancer hit him hard. He knows that his father is on the other line – listening to his shaky breath while he tries to come up with words, but he just couldn't speak. He had so much to say, but those words wouldn't come out of him. And the fact that his father is thousands of miles away from his family – going through the brutal treatment alone was piercing his heart.

Owen on the other side closed his eyes and sighed. He tried to hide it from his family as long as he could, but of course, Marcus figured it out. Owen is sick. He is old and he is tired. He doesn't have the will to keep this hidden from his family, because from what it looks like he doesn't have much time. He tried to fight. He did it for his children – he did it to see his grandchildren grow, but he is losing this battle. He is losing it to cancer. The thought of his family growing without him watching him prosper made his eyes water.

Owen opened his eyes. His skin has gotten darker from the chemotherapy. His nails are blue and hard. His hair has completely fallen off. His appetite has died. His body aches all the time. Sometimes, he just wants to give up. He doesn't want to fight it. He wants to surrender and just go, but then the urge to be around his family makes him want to fight, but this battle is harder than he presumed.

"How did you know?" Owen spoke weakly. He didn't have to fake his strength in front of his son. There is a part of him that is glad that he doesn't have to try – it was getting very tiring.

Marcus had tears streaming down his face. He snuffled and looked up at the sky – slowly getting brighter. "I –" He paused to compose himself. He closed his eyes tightly and let out a silent sob. His heart was so heavy. His father – his parent – his mentor – his everything was sick and probably dying. It broke him to think that Owen has been fighting such a vicious disease all alone. He snuffled again. He wasn't even hiding the fact that he was crying. "I knew something was not okay. There were days you weren't answering our calls. You can't lie, so each time you use the same lie – you were out with Franklin – showing him around. And then you stopped video chatting with us. I knew you were hiding something and I knew it was something about your health." He paused, "I had to reach out to Lauren (Owen's secretary) to confirm it." He stated.

Owen weakly chuckled, "So, she told you everything," He mumbled and shook his head – chuckling. "You know, when I was coming here for the treatment, she told me that if ever either of you come to ask her about my health – I will not hide anything from them." He smiled, "She knew that one day someone from you would figure it out." He sighed and closed his eyes – he was feeling sleepy.

Marcus gulped, "You will not do this alone anymore, dad. We are coming for you." Marcus said. Owen didn't have the will to fight him he only hummed, which only made Marcus cry more. Franklin was also present with Owen in the room – he watched as his friend struggled not to fall asleep and decided to snoop in.

He took Owen's phone from him and pressed it to his ear, "Marcus?" He spoke – his own eyes had tears in them. He had cried so much for the past month – watching his friend's health deteriorating, but still fresh one emerges whenever he sees Owen so vulnerable and weak.

"Franklin, why didn't you tell us?" Marcus asked – looking up at the sky again – begging God for a miracle that saved his father's life. Franklin looked down and smashed his lips together, "I couldn't. He wouldn't let me. I am so sorry I kept this from all of you, but son, please – you need to come as soon as you can." He paused and turned his head to look at his sleeping friend, "Owen is not okay. He needs his family right now," His voice wobbled. Franklin's heart tore into pieces when he heard Marcus break down on the other end.