Chapter Thirty-Five: Big Decisions

"Are you guys smoking again?" Owen asked his kids weakly as he lay in the hospital with his children surrounding him. All three of them enveloped Owen with hugs and kisses on his head and hands after they rushed into the room. All three of them cried as she held onto their father's hand. Owen couldn't help but shed a few tears as well. He didn't plan to meet his children like this. He thought maybe – just maybe – he will get better and will see his children after he beats cancer, but no matter what – this stubborn disease refuses to let him go.

When his kids entered the room, he instantly smelt smoke and coffee. He is well aware of how his children process – they always smoke when they are stressed. Silas sniffled and wiped his cheek before he chuckled, "Yeah, sorry about that, dad." He mumbled. "We didn't get the time to go and shower or change," He added.

Owen's eyes were droopy. He wasn't sleepy, he was just very weak and tired. His skin has turned darker, probably because of the chemotherapies and other medications. He doesn't have hair on his head, his eyebrows faded as well and his finger and toes nails have turned blue and black. He looks much thinner than before – and his skin has wrinkled more and now it hangs off his flesh. Marcus pressed his lips together as he take his father's appearance into account – he couldn't believe his eyes. This is not how Owen was supposed to be.

Owen softly sighed, "I am sure, you all haven't gotten any time to rest either?" He asks – looking at all three kids of his. They all slowly shook their heads. "How could we? I couldn't rest without seeing you first," Elizabeth replied while holding on to Owen's hand.

Back in New York, Maria sat on the couch with her phone pressed to her ear. She had just finished talking to Silas, who was about to go see Owen's doctor before he rang her brother. Maria learned about Sharon's death. She needed to reach her brother and make sure he and mainly Liam is doing okay.

"Yes, we will be preparing for the funeral now. Well, there is no we – I will have to prepare for it." Leo's voice held gravity. He was not only upset by Sharon's passing but worried about Liam – who has gone completely silent in the past few hours. Maria smashed her lips together and nodded her head, "How is Liam doing, and what about Mia? Is someone going to inform her?" Maria asked.

Leo heaved a sigh, "Liam is," He paused and turned around to look at him – silently sitting on the beach of the hospital. He refuses to leave Leo's side. He must be feeling extremely insecure and scared. But Leo meant it when he said that Liam is not alone. He never will be – not until Leo is alive. "He has been very quiet. Of course, he is upset. I am with him. And Mia, well – Sharon didn't want Mia to know if something happened to her, but I don't think that would be fair. I will notify her, but that's all. It is not like she can attend the funeral." Leo replied.

Maria rubbed her temple and exhaled loudly, "You are right," She mumbled. "And what about Elizabeth? Did you get in contact with her? Does she know about Sharon?" She asked. Leo shook his head and look out the big window with his phone pressed to his ear, "No, she doesn't know anything yet. I want to keep it that way. If she knows about Sharon – she will be worried for Liam and I don't want to add to her troubles. She is already worried for her own father," Leo replied.

Maria shook her head, "Don't do that. Don't keep this from her as well. Leo, you saw how she reacted when she came to know that you knew about Owen's health. Don't make a bigger mess and just tell her," She suggested.

Leo pinched the bridge of his nose, "And how do you think I should do that? She is not talking to me anyway," He tried to reason.

"Let dad tell her. I know she will reach back to you as soon as she knows," Maria replied. When Leo didn't answer her back immediately, she heaved a sigh. "Look, Leo, if you will keep this from her now. She will be the one that will feel guilty about it. She should know about it – even if she is not around, she can always stay in touch by phone. Liam needs Elizabeth around her as well," Maria tried to advise. Leo nodded, "Yeah," he whispered.