Chapter 83

« Twenty »
« Vingt »
~~~~~

Everyone gathered inside the hall in an exciting mood. Some already served themselves a red cup, talked to their friends, and laughed as they conversed, while others were already eating. I stood on the stage next to the DJ. I dusted my dress and looked around the brine of heads for Xavier next to the door. We were very alert; it was only five minutes away from midnight.

He sent the call; the boys were approaching.

I signaled the DJ next to me. He nodded and turned off the music, which caused a negative commotion. He announced it was only a minute away from midnight, and Julian was on his way. Everyone needed to be quiet. I tore my way to Agea. I was the one to hold the cake while she held the champagne. She was shushing anyone who deemed to make a noise. The light turned off. We stood next to the door and waited. My heart was beating faster; I wanted everything to be perfect. I was running any scenarios that could ruin the surprise in my head.

"Yo, walk straight. You're stepping on me." I could faintly hear Juan's voice.

"How the fuck am I supposed to walk straight when I can't see shit, pendejo!" That was definitely Julian yelling.

"For real, how are you a model and don't know how to walk?" Max added.

"You know what, you go suck a skinless dick. I AM BLINDFOLDED."

Short laughter came out of us, which Agea quieted immediately.

We waited patiently for the doorknob to turn. As soon as the door opened, the light turned on, and everyone started to scream while clapping.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

It was exactly midnight. Right on!

The birthday boy took off his blindfold, confused and cynical, to see me with a big cake and a great smile; my cheeks were hurting. Agea swung the bottles and jumped while Xavier lit up the 20 candles.

"Oh damn, wow." Those were the only words that came out of his mouth.

"Make a wish!" I plowed the cake almost in his face.

"You're kidding?" He chuckled, which slowly disappeared when he saw how serious my face was.

He sighed and blew out the candles after some interjections and shout-outs from the DJ.

"Hey, no-." Before he could act, Juan restrained his arms, and Max shoved his face in the cake. Well... Okay, I won't lie. Max held his head, and I shoved the cake in his face.

What? I was the best girlfriend ever. There were two larger cakes so everyone could enjoy them.

The night resumed after a few cursed words and a death stare from a cake face. After a few minutes, he was done pouting. The music rolled with the night. A gray smoke curtain separated the other couch in the dark corner from the dancing crowd. Smartphones were out, and pictures were already floating around the net. Different grades began to form small groups in front of the door, wondering if they could participate. It was a matter of time before they started to sneak in. Julian came back after changing. It made me happy he was smiling and enjoying himself. He was talking to a group as I observed him from a distance. We made eye contact, and he paved his way to me, still smiling. I sipped the rest of my cup content and threw it at the trash can next to me.

His lips caught mine. I could feel his enthusiasm while he grabbed me into his arms.

"You're drinking." He mumbled against my lips.

"You weren't the only one allowed to enjoy this night. After all, it was only two sips, I promise."

"If you say so, I trust you."