Chapter 22- Waiting

What, are you scared of me? That's embarassin'
If it wasn't for me, you would've never wrote Therapy
I've been here for you, but how come you're never there for me?
It's a little bit twisted, but I miss when you and I had scary dreams
I don't really wanna talk about it
- Intro III • NF

As the Dawn Treader sailed towards the island, there was a silence on board. No one was sure what to do, but how could you be when death was almost inevitable? Eustace had been flying overhead, and every so often, his wings came into view, just to let them all know he was still there.

     The air had become tense as nerves surrounded every one of the crew members. Unsure of what to do next, James clutched onto Caspian's arm. The King didn't mind- but he couldn't think of what else he could to to make the blonde comfortable.

     "So, what do you think is in there?" Tavros wondered from the lower section of the deck.

  Muttering back, dismally, Edmund replied. "Our worst nightmares."

  "Our darkest wishes." Caspian added, darkly.

  "Pure evil." Drinian announced, and the air turned cold.

  "Jesus, someone lighten up, please." Harvey groaned, rolling his eyes, watching the dark clouds roll over them once more. "This is worse than the bloody war."

  "Harvey." James hissed, shoving him off to the side. "It's not worse than the bloody war."

  Confused, Lucy turned to her older brother, an eyebrow raised. "Did you just swear?"

  "This is not the time." James flushed, heavily breathing from his nose. "I've sworn before."

  "Not for a while, which means I think you did." She remarked.

  The blonde Pevensie looked to Caspian with a playful pout. "She's being mean."

  The Telmarine king simply kissed his lovers forehead, and smiled softly, as it naught have calmed him. "Don't worry yourself. It'll be alright."

  From behind the wheel, the captain of the boat stepped forwards, and began his commandments. "Tavros, unlock the armoury!

  "My Lord." The beast complied.

  Perplexed, Harvey mumbled. "He's a Lord?"

  "Shut up." The High King told him, fed up. He loved the Gallagher boy, but now was not the time for snarky comments. This wasn't the time for anything other than focusing.

  "Archers prepare yourselves." Drinian continued.

  "Aye Captain."

  "Light the lanterns." Tavros boomed from the lower deck as the crew members started to comply. Things were getting real.

  "Let's get ready." Caspian announced, gesturing for the two other kings to follow him- Harvey tagging along as he always did. After all, he was the one who knew where the best armour was. Even after months at sea, James refused to go into rooms on his own.

     Gathering everything that they could, James' hands shook. He couldn't know what was going to happen, but it couldn't be good. This place seemed to be where the worst things imaginable were going to happen. It probably wasn't the best time for someone with such a vivid imagination- but James would have to cope just the same as everyone else.