xxv. the sour prankster come back

February 25th, 1986

February 25th, 1986

High school, a place where teenagers could restart, but for Cassidy Sinclair, things were different with her powers. One month into the new school year, as Christmas break approached, tensions rose. Max found herself trying to avoid Cassidy, feeling the weight of the strained relationships. At her locker, Mike approached, discussing Theodore and El with her, highlighting the growing complexities in their lives.

As Cassidy stood by her locker, she turned to her best friend, Mike. "So, have you heard from El and Theodore lately?" she inquired, a genuine curiosity in her eyes. Their friendship had evolved since the challenging events surrounding the Flayed, and Cassidy felt a lingering sense of remorse for a past prank she had played on Mike.

However, he had discovered the truth during the Flayed incident, and surprisingly, he accepted her apology, solidifying their bond. Now, they navigated high school together, facing the complexities of their relationships with El and Theodore.

"Yeah, El sent me a letter a few days ago. She sounds pretty excited that we're gonna see her on Spring Break in a month and a half. She said she has a lot of friends..." Mike trailed off with a frown, sensing the change in dynamics. Cassidy smiled sadly, reflecting Mike's concern. "Yikes... Do you really think she has a lot of new friends?" she questioned, acknowledging the potential shifts in El's life.

Mike shook his head in response to Cassidy's question about Theodore. "What 'bout Theodore?" she asked curiously. Mike furrowed his eyebrows, "Haven't they sent you letters?" Cassidy shook her head, a hint of disappointment in her expression. "Not that much," she admitted, feeling a sense of distance in her connection with Theodore.

Mike frowned, leaning against the locker. "How are you and Max? El's been asking," he questioned, sensing the tension in Cassidy's expression. Cassidy's face shifted, revealing a mix of emotions. "Not great at all. She's... she hasn't talked to me since Christmas," she admitted, the strain in her relationship with Max evident in her words.

Mike's eyes widened in surprise as Cassidy scratched her neck. "Huh? That was two months ago, Cassie!" he exclaimed, expressing astonishment at the length of time. Cassidy nodded, her gaze meeting Mike's. "I know, I know. I've been trying to give her some space since Billy died," she explained, revealing the complexities of their relationship following the recent hardships.

Mike sighed, a palpable sadness in the air as he folded his arms. "Cassie," he spoke with empathy, catching Cassidy's attention. She looked up at him, awaiting his words. "She's been hurting. I know it's hard for her, but I really think you need to talk to her," he urged, emphasizing the importance of communication in navigating the challenges that had strained their friendship.

Cassidy, nonchalant and unyielding, responded to Mike's curious inquiry with a dismissive shrug. "Where do you think Mildred is?" he asked, his curiosity evident. In reply, Cassidy scoffed, rolling her eyes to underscore her indifference. "Like I care. She betrayed me," she declared, her tone edged with lingering resentment. Folding her arms defiantly, Cassidy emphasized her disdain, provoking a raised eyebrow from the surprised Mike.