12. 𝓡𝓮𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓷

I was ignoring Dhruv after that day I didn't have enough strength to fight back

I didn't have enough strength to fight back.

I was recalling the day I met Avantika Ranganathan , the woman who reigned my man's heart even after death.

I was in his college for a kathak program.
Dhruv had hugged her and wished good luck that day.
After the performance I went towards the dressing room to see Dhruv already there but with a girl. My Happy smile turned into confusion at that.
She was beautiful. The kind of simple village beauty that will steel your heart. She was wearing an off-white churidar that day.
Dhruv introduced me to her.

"Mahika Rai ,my best friend from childhood. "
Avantika gave me a hug.
"It's so nice to meet you. I've heard so much about you from him. Other than that i am a fan of your art. "
"Thank you so much." I said with a genuine smile.

"Mahi this is Avantika Ranganathan ,my girlfriend."
Dhruv said looking at her with a loving gaze. That small gesture showed everything she wanted to know.
He was in love.

She wasn't upset. She still is not. Avantika made him a better person. And as I said you can never ever hate someone like Avantika. She cared about everyone around her. She was a beautiful soul inside out.

Once she told me I'm sorry without any context.
Now as I think back , I feel she knew about my feelings towards him.

"Mahika? "
I went inside the room.
"Did you call me?" I asked astonished.
"Yes. Can you please pass me that bottle of water ? "
"Wait you are asking ME for water? "
"Yes" he sighed.
"Are you feeling alright? Should I call the doctor? "
"Har haar really funny. Can I get my water now.

I passed him the water bottle.
I went back to ignoring him.

"Look can we not go back ignoring each other? We still have about two days left in this hell hole. "

"Why the sudden behaviour change? "
He tensed at that.

"Mahika , we were friends from our childhood. I know I can't love you as a husband should love his wife but we still can be friends. "

"This is not some sick prank is it. "

"No .. " he replied.

"At least take this as an apology for that day. Let's be friends. "

"Friends. " I repeated with a smile.

Wait a damn second.

DID I JUST GET FRIEND ZONED BY MY HUSBAND????

*

Dhruv was getting discharged today. Veer Bhai and Rehan were at the hospital, taking care of the paper work.  She and Dhruv were in the room. They were being decent with each other. It was not like before but it still was a start.