five | imprisoned

☆

EVENTUALLY, THE THREE FIND the New York Sanctum. Though, seeing the statue of her husband made Talia realise that this was a memorial. The words carved into the stone confirmed that the Doctor Strange of this universe had sacrificed his life for the greater good.

"Gave his life defeating Thanos?" America questioned.

The two were somewhat aware of Thanos from a few universes, having heard snippets here and there. Thanos had not just been a threat to Earth, but a threat to the entire universe. Though, Thanos was part of the many questions that Talia had for her husband.

"Yeah, see," said Stephen. "We are not all bad."

"Who defeated Thanos in our universe?" Talia asked, curiously.

Before she had vanished, the Avengers had been established with the attack on New York City. On that day, Stephen had been in surgery while Talia had been caught in the crossfire with friends. So much had happened, but it was peculiar to think of her husband associated with the Avengers.

"Iron Man," Stephen answered. "But it was a team effort."

Talia half-heartedly nodded, eyes remaining on the statue. There were lots of gaps that Stephen needed to fill in.

"If other you is dead, who is Master of the Sanctum?" America questioned.

"Hopefully someone decent," Talia said, looking over towards her husband. "Or do you have any other new friends with sinister intentions that I should know about?"

"Depends on what you class as sinister," Stephen replied.

However, a creak echoed, alerting the three as the doors of the Sanctum opened. Stephen had been the first to move, stepping away from the statue that blocked their view.

"Oh, shit," Stephen muttered.

As Talia and America moved around the statue to see themselves, Talia's eyes fell on a dark-skinned man with his watchful eyes stuck on Stephen, likely seeing a ghost. Yet, as Talia's eyes locked on Stephen, she could see that his eyes were narrowed to slits.

"You know him?" America asked.

"Yeah," answered Stephen. "Mordo."

"Friend?" Talia questioned.

"He's actually the first guy that let me into Kamar-Taj," Stephen confessed.

"Oh, great," said America.

Taila's eyebrows rose. "But..."

"And then he snapped and dedicated his life to trying to kill me."

"Oh," America replied, less enthusiastically. "Great."

"So, we can't trust him," Talia summarised.

Mordo was the first to approach the three, perhaps sensing their distrust.