Where the Current Takes Us (A Mermay Fic)

Mermaids

They reign the ocean, in a beautiful and good way, across the seven seas and roam everywhere, going everywhere, being everywhere. But even then the acclaimed Siren, known as just a legend from myths and folklore was a rare sight. They had been sighted before, but only a fool would listen to those who saw. It was just impossible to see one.

They were everywhere millions of years ago, considering the human stories of seeing them and incorporating them into classics and history. The tale of Odysseus and his travel back home to Ithaca after the ten year war between the Greeks and Trojans. It took him another ten years to return home because of the trials he faced, one of them being the Sirens.

They allured their prey with their beauty. Gorgeous tails and flowing long hair, half human half fish. Then they opened their lips and out their mouths came an enthralling and bewitching sound that came out melodious in the form of a song that drew the sailors closer to them, enticed to hear more. Then, once they came close enough they attacked, pouncing on them like inhuman animals and taking them to the deep bottom of the sea where they drowned and feasted on them. Odysseus was most likely the only one who managed to escape these alluring beasts, savage from times of old.

It was a long time ago, but many merfolk report having heard an almost irresistible voice that faded away before anything happened to them.

They were rare, fake and exotic creatures, which is why Keith never thought he'd meet Lance.

Keith was not exactly a merman, he was a half-shark half-man. A tail smooth and almost rubber-like and such a deep purple it almost looked black but where the sun shine you could see its brilliance. He wore a leather belt around his waist. He hunted for his food everyday, just like that day. His black locks flowing in the water and pale skin practically glowing through the shine of the sea.

Keith went around, searching the deep blue waters for any traces of fish. He saw a glimpse of a fin. He hid behind a large boulder and pulled out his knife. It wasn't a merperson, merpeople have dolphin-like fins, large and rubbery. This fin was one that belonged to a large fish, unlike any other Keith had seen before. Flowing and thin and almost transparent and smooth like sea silk. It swayed softly because of the water, the light changing it's colors to different kinds of blue. Keith was tempted to see how large the fish was but he couldn't risk it. If you can see it, it can see you.

He looked down at his knife, a rare human treasure he found on land with a purple amethyst in the middle. He tightened his grip. Just as he was about to go out and attack, he heard a strange noise. It instantly made him stop. But that was unusual. Even if he heard a noise, it wouldn't stop him mid-attack. He should already have his prey right now. But the noise was like a humming. It was sweet and harmonious. He felt himself in a trace. He blinked himself out of it and shook his head. He gulped. The humming sounded almost a like mermaid. Keith felt slightly uneasy thinking he almost killed another being he couldn't eat.

He closed his eyes, listening to the humming and he felt easy-going and slightly lightheaded and dizzy with giddiness. It was hypnotic. The humming grew, louder as if the creature was getting closer. Keith breathed in deeply, holding his breath and then-

"Oh my! What's this precious little thing?" Keith's eyes snapped open and he looked down at his empty hands. He instantly looked up and growled,"Get your hands of-" He stopped, his breath seizing and he felt the heat crawl up the back of his neck.

It was....mesmerizing. Glittering blue tale unlike any other that shined in the blue light of the sea. Each one of it's scales shimmered and changed shades of blues in the luminescence, like it wasn't a scale but a thin gem. It's tale was long and good for fast swimming and at it's end parted into two flowing fins, the ones he saw before like sea silk. At it's hips were the same types of smooth fins and it's upper body was a beautiful bronze. He looked into it's eyes, bluer than the ocean. Instead of ears it had large glittering blue fins, perfect for hearing from a long distance. It's eyes were large and almost mischievous, it's pupils enticingly alluring and slitted.