29

"Leo is alive."

Relief was the first emotion felt, a long exhale escaping each of the boys. He's alive, he's okay, everything will be fine.

If only they knew how wrong they were.

"Did you hear that, Enz?" Emilio let out a watery chuckle, his cheeks damp from his over-pour of tears. "He's alive, he's going to be okay."

Rachel cast her eyes to the floor, cringing slightly at the boys words. Alive and okay we're two very different things. Leo was not okay, if he made it through the intense surgery he'd still have a lot of hurdles to jump.

Zac observed Rachel silently, his relief mild compared to that of his siblings. In a way he knew it was to good to be true. With good news it's almost always followed by the bad, because in this life nothing is free, everything comes with a price.

"How's he doing?" He turned to the blonde intern, his eyes trained to hers.

Rachel gulped audibly, her clammy hands gripping the edge of her scrubs tightly. "He's stable, but he's not out of the woods yet."

"Can you elaborate?" Callan interjected. He'd been watching Zac closely, he knew when his brother was suspicious of something. He'd seen that look in his eyes many times over the years.

"Leo arrested a further three times." She paused, her words causing everyone's joy and relief to plummet, multiple gasps filling the silent waiting room. "He had a secondary bleed on the brain, which is why the surgery is taking longer than it usually would for the type of injury Leo sustained. I'm sorry but that's the only news I have for now. Once the surgery is complete, Leo's doctor and consultants will come and speak with you regarding his other injuries as well." 

Zac frowned, running a hand over his stubble coated jaw, he nodded. "Okay, okay." He mumbled, pausing as his mind processed Rachel's words. "Other injuries?"

"Yes, I can't go into much detail. All I can tell you is that Leo has multiple abrasions on his skin, most of which are from the fall itself. He also has internal bleeding in his abdomen, which the doctors are currently trying to find the source of." She admitted with a look of sympathy. She didn't want to go into further detail in fears she'd make a mistake, she was simply shadowing the neurosurgeon, Leo's general surgeon would explain that further to Zac. "The head doctors will come speak with you when the surgery's over. I'm sorry but I have to get back."

Zac stood frozen, still processing the interns words. Internal bleeding? Secondary bleed? Multiple abrasions?

Seeing that Zac was in no state to respond, Callan turned to Rachel. "Thank you for keeping us informed."

"Of course." Rachel offered him a sad smile, her eyes glancing at Zac before she took her leave.

As Rachel left the waiting room Ace turned to Zac, his eyes filled with fear as blue locked to blue. "Zac... he'll be okay, won't he?" He asked, his voice pleading, desperate for reassurance.

His question snapped Zac from his thoughts, his frown vanishing as he took in his little brothers terrified expression. Moving to Ace, he knelt in-front of the younger boy, taking his hands in his own. "I don't know bambino, I hope so." He whispered, giving Ace's hands a gentle squeeze. "If anyone can get through this, it's Le."