CHAPTER 12

Charlene's pov

They wouldn't let me see Leo, the guards escorted me out of the castle and helped me on the horse. Raven was standing with my belongings tied on each side of her. I patted her  head softly, I looked back at the castle with tears in my eyes. I never thought I'd be sad to leave, to leave her...

"We'll be escorting you to your Kingdom, to make sure you reach it safely" one of the guards said pointing to his partner, I got on the horse and started moving away leaving the castle and what happened inside it behind me.

Before I knew it I was already on my kingdom's territory, the news has spread before I arrived and my people were waiting for me at the gates. I got down from the horse, I was feeling very tired mentally and physically after all that happened and the trip. Men, women and children were gathered to greet me and I smiled at them to reassure everyone that I was alright and I wasn't hurt.

"Glad to have you back princess" one of the knights said bowing his head, I remember him he was one of my father's men. I patted his shoulder and went through the familiar paths towards my castle. Every step I took felt heavier than the other, the last time I was here Leo was raiding and killing my men but after all that cruelty I wasn't able to hate her.

"Your highness, I've been taking care of our people while your were gone." The knight said, I found myself standing in front of my father's throne with a frown.

"Thank you ehhh..?"

"Micheal" he said with a small smile, I looked around the place but I couldn't find any of Leo's men. How did they leave so fast?

"A couple of says ago, late at night, they all left so suddenly. The people woke up and the men were all gone" he explained like he read my thoughts answering my question. Bad news really spreads faster than good news, bad for Leo's kingdom as for mine they looked relieved and happy that the enemy 'king' was dead. I dismissed Micheal and went to my old room, I knew that starting tomorrow I'll be queen and I have to be crowned. Why so fast? I just got here...

**********

The next morning, I was woken up by maids that I remember worked in the castle. They smiled at me and guided me to the bathroom to bathe me and clean me. I tried to relax but everything felt so wrong, I was too deep in my thoughts that I didn't notice I was already out of the bath and the maids were dressing me.

"Your highness, Sir Micheal is waiting for you outside" one of the maids said, Micheal seemed like a nice guy. He was the age of my father with a greyish beard and hair, I used to see him around the castle all the time when my father was alive.

"Morning Micheal" I smiled at him while he bowed to me in respect, he followed me to the throne room where everyone was, people were gathered waiting patiently for me to show up. I put the best smile on my face and waved at them as I walked closer to the throne, Micheal being the head of the army was assigned to crown me. He started giving a long speech about mutual loyalty and respect of the crown and other things that I didn't hear because I was busy thinking of Leonor, did she really die? How can she leave me after she made me feel things, how dare she do this to me. But after all, it was my fault if only I didn't listen to Lupus but at the time I was blinded with hatred...

"Princess Charlene, after long weeks of suffering without your presence. In the name of our people and your deceased father, I know crown you as Queen Charlene. All hail the queen!" He stepped in front of me and slowly put the crown on my head, I closed my eyes and bit my inner cheek trying to hold my tears. Were they tears of joy? Grief?

The crowd cheered and the music started playing, I sat on the throne looking at the faces in front of me. The oblivious men, that had no idea of how I felt about their enemy. The enemy that they all hated, but I-

I sighed and smiled forcefully trying to match their energy, after a few hours of celebration I felt drained and I demanded that everyone leaves. When the room was empty I took off the crown and put on my lap staring at it, I had a feeling what was gonna happen next. Marriage proposal were going to fly my way from every direction, and I was ready to move on just yet...

****************
Hello everyone!! I'm sorry for the very late update, finals are very close and I have to start studying. Hopefully I'll have more time to upload.

Have a great day!

-S