Chapter 4

Amara was awoken by the feeling of bright hot beams of sunlight from her window stinging her eyes, accompanied by the merry birdsongs and a throbbing pain in her temples.

She was rather use to the hangovers since she often had to drink herself to sleep throughout high school to help her cope with the emotional agony she was going through.

She massaged her temples with her thumb and index finger as she sat up on the bed. Amara couldn't concentrate on anything around her and so she did the only thing that helped her to recover, she took a cold bath.

After soaking in the cold water that filled the bathtub for about thirty minutes, she finally emerged from her bathroom in a white fluffy bathrobe with her hair wrapped up in a white towel like they do at a spa.

Feeling refreshed and revitalized, she put on an oversized black hoodie with the words LEGALIZE IT in white and grey sweatpants. Then she proceeded to blow-dry and brush her thick wavy dark brown hair which had blonde highlights.

Amara decided to allow her hair which reached her lower back fall gracefully down her back and shoulders. Feeling a little hungry, she checked the time on her phone. It was 10:47 am. "Oh! 1 hour and 13 minutes more", she said to herself as she tucked her phone into her pants-pocket and picked up the wine glass and bottle to put back and left for the kitchen.

She did so upon reaching the kitchen and fixed her favourite thing for breakfast, banana-flavoured pancakes with maple syrup and pineapple juice. She ate quickly as she called Allison. She told her that she thought the marriage wasn't actually a bad idea.

Amara had decided to go through with it in hopes that her life would change for the better. She also took the opportunity to invite her best friend to the engagement party. Amara then went back up to her room when she was done. Checking the time, she realized it was 11:14 am. "Wow! Time is really flying by", she said as she changed into her bathrobe.

Just as she was about to begin applying her body lotions and skincare oils her door flew open. Lilybeth was standing before her all made-up in a short yellow fitted dress with her curled shoulder length hair and a pair of golden ankle boots with huge earrings and necklace.

"You like what you see?". Lilybeth gave a 360° turn to show off her fabulous dress. "We're leaving. Mommy and Daddy want us to get there on time to make a good impression and to mingle with the extremely rich and the extremely powerful. They said to remind you about the dress your in-laws sent you to wear, the shoes and accessories".

"They sent me stuff to wear?", Amara asked with furrowed eyebrows. Lilybeth rolled her eyes. "Yes. Now don't be late. First impressions count. You can show them your shitty true self later", she said, not forgetting to smile sweetly before leaving and banging the door.

Amara felt the anger building up inside of her. "Calm down Amara. Don't waste such passionate emotions on that bitch. Breathe", she said to herself, taking deep calming breaths. She applied her lotions, did her hair and makeup before walking to the closet to inspect the dress.

Her eyes and mouth went wide with the pleasant surprise. Good first impressions? I'll show you a good first impression, she thought to herself with a satisfied smile as she reached for the dress that was sure to be a showstopper.

                         ★★★★★

Within the gates of a mansion, on the extensively and lavishly decorated garden, there was a lot of merrymaking. The exclusive guests of this grand engagement mingled and chatted. Happiness wafting in and around every part of the environment. Every single person was all smiles.

Except one.

A young man was seated at a large table on one of the two chairs under a beautifully decorated canopy in the centre of the garden. He had on a poker face and his dark green eyes radiated such intensity, they could make Batman cower in defeat. His black curly hair covered his neck and was almost falling into his eyes which helped increase the intense effect in his eyes.

His jawline was so sharp it looked like it could cut. He had a beautifully tanned skin tone. His three piece suit, consisting of a black shirt and vest as well as red pants and rhinestone-studded trenchcoat, was doing a poor job of concealing the muscular body underneath it. He took a sip of the peach champagne in his wine glass with his thin pink lips. He was none other than Daniel Sean Anderson.

He checked the time on his Rolex and let out an exasperated breath, taking another sip from his glass. "Daniel. My boy, what's wrong? The party is amazing but you don't seem too pleased", Raphael said with a broad smile with a glass of champagne in his hand, causing Daniel's sharp gaze to shift into him.

"It's 12:11pm but your daughter isn't here yet. Whatever happened to punctuality and decency. I just hope she's worth the wait", Daniel said in his husky baritone voice. Just as he was about to take another sip of champagne there was a sudden commotion and everyone seemed to be whispering "She's here".

"Ah. Amara is here. I knew she wouldn't make you wait that long", Raphael said, laughing nervously and made his way to his seat. Daniel rolled his eyes and set the glass down, waiting for his bride. Then he saw her. She walked towards the very table he was currently sitting at. As she got closer, his eyes scanned her from top to bottom.

She was clad in that lovely red short sleeved gown and black lace up heels his mother had bought for her as well as the diamond necklace and earrings. The dress had several rhinestones like those on his coat, covering the chest area. The modest but complementary cleavage exposed her sculptured collarbone.

The bright and polite smile she had on complemented her natural make-up as she greeted the guests, making her way to their table with slow confident steps. Satisfied with what he saw, Daniel emptied his glass with a final sip.

Nice. Trophy wife indeed, he thought to himself as a smirk formed in his lips. His eyes met her grey ones causing Amara's smile to broaden until she took her seat by Daniel's side and with that, the actual party started.