17: You're not a monster.

Y/n's pov

After a while of biking around town I spoke up.

"Man, this feels weird without Lucas." I said.

We were literally down to three party members.

"He should've shaken my hand." Mike said.

"He's just jealous." Dustin said.

"What are you talking about?" Mike asked.

Dustin sighed. "Sometimes your total obliviousness just blows my mind."

Mike still looked confused.

"He's your best friend, right?" Dustin more said than asked.

"Well, yeah... I mean, I don't know." Mike said.

"It's fine, I get it." Dustin said. "I didn't get here until the fourth grade. He had the advantage of living next door. But none of that matters.

"What matters is that he is your best friend. And then this girl shows up and starts living in your basement and all you ever wanna do is pay attention to her." I added.

"That's not true!" Mike objected.

"Yes, it is. And you know it." Dustin said.

"And he knows it, but no one ever says anything until you both start punching and yelling at each other." I said.

"Like goblins with intelligence scores of zero." Dustin added on. "Now everything's weird."

"He's not my best friend." Mike said.

Dustin chuckled. "Yeah right."

"I mean, he is, but so are you. And so is Y/n, even though she's my sister. And so is will." Mike said.

"Cant have more than one best friend and I already called Y/n." Dustin said.

"Says who?" Mike asked.

"Says logic!" Dustin said.

"Well, I call bull on your logic. 'Cause you're both my best friends too." Mike smiled at us.

"Okay." Dustin gave in.

"Uh... guys?" He spoke unsurely.

"What?" Mike and I asked.

He pointed to Bradley's big buy, a small grocery store, that had all of its windows shattered.

Not a single piece of glass was still attached to the window frame, it all lay on the ground in dangerous shards and police crowded around civilians.

"You don't think..." I trailed off.

"Definitely." Mike confirmed.

We rode our bikes around the store and into the woods behind it.

We were walking our bikes through the forest, desperately and hopelessly trying to find El.