Web Fluid [chapter 32]

"Please be careful," she whispered to Peter.

Peter reached up and gently held her cheeks. He placed his forehead on hers and closed his eyes, taking in her presence for what could be the last time. Taking a deep breath in, he slowly removed his forehead from hers and opened his eyes once again.

He let an unsure grin settle on his face, "Just for you." Peter then planted a small kiss on her nose. "For me, could you take care of Aunt May?"

She shook her head, "I won't be needing to. You're going to come back to this very apartment when everything's over with and you defeat King Pin. And then, we'll get breakfast, and I'll walk you back home to where Aunt May will surely be waiting for you."

Peter gave a sad smile. She was holding onto the hope that he would come back. For a pessimist, she certainly was being optimistic in that moment. But it was justifiable. She was potentially saying goodbye to one of the few people she truly trusted in her life. Someone who gave her stability since they were about five years old.

She needed him.

"I'll be back," Peter whispered.

Then he stepped back. He accepted the mask she offered him, knowing it was one with a camera for her to see what was happening. Peter didn't exactly want her to see the absolute blood fest that was about to commence. But he knew she would insist on seeing him. Seeing that he was alive and well— maybe not well, but alive.

He walked over to her window, sliding it open with slightly unsteady hands. He forced himself to go out so he sat crouched on the fire escape. With one final look back, he sent her a weak grin and a wink before pulling his mask on.

Then he was off. He was off to fight the strongest man in New York City.

She took in a shaky breath before making her way over to the window. She watched as Spider-man webbed his way through the streets until he'd completely disappeared from her sight. When he was gone, and she was sure of it, she closed and locked the window.

In a haste, she grabbed her canvas bag and laptop off her desk. She ran out of her room, barely stopping to put her shoes on and grab her keys off the counter.

"Where are you going?" Cairo asked his sister. He was leaning back on the counter, arms crossed over his chest that was covered by a much too large sweater. "To see your boyfriend?"

"Boyfriend?" she repeated in disgust. "No. But if you must know, I'm going out. Meeting up with Thompson at the park."

Cairo nodded with a teasing grin, "Oh, so you are meeting up with your boyfriend."

"I'd rather date Parker than I would Thompson," she mumbled, throwing her bag over her shoulder after she finished tying her shoes.

Her tone was intended to be too hushed for Cairo to hear. But apparently, when she really didn't need Cairo to be listening, he had the ears of a canine. "So you like Parker?" Cairo pushed off the counter, intrigued by this sudden discovery. "I always knew you'd end up liking him."

"I don't like him!" she exclaimed in embarrassment.

"Sure you don't," Cairo widened his eyes. "And I absolutely can not stand my girlfriend."

That was a lie. Cairo adored her. She was the second most important person in his life. Right behind his little sister who was currently trying to refuse the fact she was in love with Peter Parker.

"Look," the girl started. "I don't like Parker. I don't like Thompson. I don't like any guys right now..." She saw her brother open his mouth with a mischievous smirk, "Or girls. Or anything in between."