72

"There's no need for that." Shen Yu refused without even thinking about it. He could imagine how the ministers would react if Shang JunLin grandly led him into the hall.

To avoid scandalizing all those officials, Shen Yu thought it would be better if he didn't join in the excitement.

"What is Ah Yu worried about?" Shang JunLin rubbed the delicate skin on Shen Yu's neck. "Thinking the ministers will oppose it? Don't worry, they won't say anything."

Clearly, when Shang JunLin said he wanted to take him to watch the palace examination, it wasn't a whim but something Shang JunLin had already decided. Shen Yu felt confused. "Why does Your Majesty want to bring me?"

"Did Ah Yu forget about the bet we made before? Doesn't Ah Yu want to see the results in person?" Shang JunLin coaxed him in a low voice.

Shen Yu gave him a sideways glance. "Of course I didn't forget. But Your Majesty settled the wager in advance. There's not much difference between seeing the result of the imperial exam and not seeing it."

When Shen Yu thought about what happened that day, his face grew hot.

The beauty's eyes shied away, and his face was tinted light pink. Shang JunLin's heart began to pound.

He closed in to plant a kiss on that pale pink skin. "This emperor personally wants to take Ah Yu there. Shouldn't Ah Yu accompany this emperor?"

"Your Majesty." Shen Yu felt moved, but he still reasoned with Shang JunLin. "Since ancient times, the harem is forbidden to interfere with politics. Your Majesty has already bent the rules by discussing court affairs with me. The imperial exam isn't like other things. In any case, as a noble monarch, it's improper for me to set foot there."

"Husband and husband are one. There should be no distinction between Ah Yu and myself. Ah Yu can go wherever and do whatever this emperor can."

Shang JunLin stroked Shen Yu's cheek. "This emperor knows Ah Yu has tremendous aptitude. Being trapped in the harem is unfair to you. This emperor won't accept it because this emperor refuses to cover up Ah Yu's talent."

Shen Yu was startled. He didn't think Shang JunLin would say something like this. His heart softened, but he also felt a slight ache. An imperceptible sweetness that was hidden inside him slowly began to spread.

When he spoke, his throat ached a little. "I don't care about those things. Your Majesty doesn't have to do this for me."

Shang JunLin held the man tightly in his arms. "Then do it to satisfy one of this emperor's selfish wishes, Ah Yu."

His Ah Yu should be an eagle soaring in the sky, but because of him, because of the Zhenbei Marquis' foolishness, Ah Yu was trapped in the harem. Shang JunLin was too selfish to let him go. His Ah Yu had to remain by his side. Ah Yu must belong only to him!

After being worn down, Shen Yu agreed.

Shang JunLin hugged him happily and said quietly, "In fact, it's boring to sit up there. It takes more than an hour and you can't do anything."

Shen Yu stroked a loose strand of the man's hair. "Then Your Majesty wants me to accompany you to relieve your boredom?"

"It's fine if Ah Yu thinks so."

Shen Yu laughed softly and held the man's face in his hands. "Your Majesty, please don't feel like you're holding me back from anything. It was my own choice to enter the palace. No one forced me. Your Majesty treats me so well, and I'm truly happy. Your Majesty doesn't have to find ways to show off my talent. I don't want it."

Shen Yu gazed directly into Shang JunLin's eyes, as if to see into his heart. He stressed once again, "What I want is to live freely and without restraint, not to become caught up in never-ending intrigues and deceit, Your Majesty."