Chapter 12: New Broomstick

"What are you doing out here so late at night?" Asked Edgar as I turned to see him.

"Oh Edgar what are you here for?" I asked him confused.

"Just looking into a job." He replied.

"Oh is there an opening here?" I asked him as I walked beside him in the halls.

"Not yet, but there will be." He told me. "Just trying to save you hardship." He muttered at the end.

"Interesting" I said to him, not fully understanding what he meant by that.

"But anyway, (Y/n), what are you doing out of bed this late?" Asked Edgar.

I just shrugged at this, not wanting to tell him the truth. "Just exploring."

He laughed at this. "Ah I remember when I used to sneak out of the common room at night, always a fun time."

"So you went here as well?" I asked him interested.

"Yeah long time ago though." He said reminiscing. "Not that much different though." He added looking around, as they descended a flight of stairs.

"Do you miss it?" I asked.

"I do yeah. It was always so... action packed. Always something going down somewhere." He told me. "Here it's a shortcut." He said pulling back a tapestry to reveal a hidden passage.

"How'd you know that was there?" I asked him having no idea it was there.

Edgar just shrugged. "There's lots of little places that are hidden around this school, you just need to know where to look." He said leading me down a staircase, coming out near the dungeons.

"Alright then (Y/n), here we are." He said gesturing to the wall behind which led to the Slytherin dormitory. "I'll see you around, don't be too bad."

...

I was in glee as Malfoy watched Harry, Ron and me walk into the great hall like we didn't just escape the triple jaws of death. Indeed, by the next morning Harry Ron and I  thought that meeting the three-headed dog had been an excellent adventure, and we were quite keen to have another one.

In the meantime, Harry filled Ron and me in about the package that seemed to have been moved from Gringotts to Hogwarts, and we spent a lot of time wondering what could possibly need such heavy protection.

"It's either really valuable or really dangerous," said Ron.

"Or both," said Harry.

"Or, and hear me out on this one, it could be a bag inside of a bag!" I suggested

But all we knew for sure about the mysterious object was that it was about two inches long, we didn't have much chance of guessing what it was without further clues.

Neville and Hermione, on the other hand, hadn't showed the slightest interest in what lay underneath the dog and the trapdoor, and quite frankly all Neville cared about was never going near the dog again.

Hermione was now refusing to speak to Harry Ron and me, although I think Harry and Ron thought this was a bonus. All we really wanted now was a way of getting back at Malfoy, and to our great delight, just such a thing arrived in the mail about a week later.

The owls flooded into the Great Hall as usual, everyone's attention was caught at once by a long, thin package carried by six large screech owls. I was extremely interested to see what was in the package and, I'm not ashamed to admit, to see if it was worth stealing. However to my surprise the owls soared down and dropped it right in front of Harry, knocking his bacon to the floor.