Chapter 8 - Kylie

Wyld Times, Episode 33

"Today, we're meeting a fellow Wyldling who survived something pretty full on – right here in this enclosure." Bruce is standing in front of a thick glass wall. Behind him is an animal exhibit; a truck tyre hangs from a tree surrounded by green grass, rocky perches and a natural-looking pool.

Michelle chimes in. "The animal that lives in here is one of the most popular and recognisable 'charismatic megafauna' in the world."

"What's a charismatic megafauna?" asks Kylie, tugging on her sleeve.

"They're generally a large animal species that are really well known and represent the animal kingdom – mammals that everyone knows and likes."

"I guess that makes me a charismatic megafauna," guffaws Bruce, posing like a body builder. "I'm large, charming – and everyone loves me!"

"They sure do, Bru!" says Kylie, clapping her hands.

Michelle continues, talking to the camera. "Example of charismatic megafauna include pandas, lions, gorillas, elephants and-"

"Tigers!" shrieks Kylie, pointing at the exhibit in delight. Three massive cats pad their way out into the sunshine: one flops in the grass, another climbs a rock and surveys the area. The third approaches the windows, staring at Kylie in eerie fascination. She gazes back, enraptured. "They're so cool!"

"I think this one wants to meet you, Kyls," says Bruce. "Oh, hang on – I meant to say, he wants to 'eat' you."

"That's not funny," Kylie replies, pouting. "He wouldn't attack me. Would he?"

"He definitely would – and this guy has got the scars to prove it!" Bruce shakes the hand of a keeper wearing a striped uniform. The man is tanned and strong and attractive. As he smiles, the camera zooms in on a huge scar across his face that travels from his forehead down his cheek before disappearing into the neck of his shirt.

"This is my mate, Dave. He's been a keeper here with these Bengal tigers for five years. He loves them so much, he almost sacrificed himself as dinner to this big bugger behind us!" Bruce laughs, clapping Dave on the shoulder. "Tell us, how did it feel to get ripped apart like a box of tissues when Shell is watching a chick flick?"

Dave has a hoarse voice and he speaks with the practiced affect of someone who has told this story dozens of times. "Kai is a beautiful member of our tiger family – but he's always going to be a wild animal. Last year, he and his brother got into a fight and I accidentally got in the way. He slashed open my jugular vein," he points at his neck, "and I had to be placed in an induced coma for six weeks so I didn't tear my stitches and bleed out."

"Oh my goodness," breathes Michelle. "Dave, I'm so sorry."

"Settle down, love - real men walk their tiger attacks off," crows Bruce.

Kylie tilts her head seriously. "You almost died. Do you hate Kai?"

"No, I don't," says Dave, looking at the beast through the glass with a mixture of apprehension and respect. "Kai has a pretty difficult history – he was chained up in a travelling zoo for a lot of years and he's still learning how to be around other members of his species. A lot of his problems come from his poor early conditioning."

"You understand him," says Michelle.

"And I forgive him," Dave adds, placing a hand on the glass as Kai attempts to lick him from the other side of the clear barrier. "Everyone deserves a second chance."