Aftermath

Breaking News:
Los Angeles, California
Mass shooting in local grocery store.
Police reports at least 7 people dead and 4 injured. Shooter was stopped by a young woman and a glass bottle and is now being held in custody by the police.
More information soon.

________

Florence:

Sirens. Red and blue lights.

That's all I can hear and see after waking up. I look around me and see that I've been moved on to a gurney inside an ambulance. But we're not moving, in fact we're still standing on the same parking slot, at the same grocery store where it just happened.

Panic rises in me and my breathing deteriorates. My eyes scan the entrance of the market, afraid to see or hear the loud noises from before again. But then a paramedic steps beside me and calmly speaks to me. "Don't worry, there's no more danger. We have the shooter."

I feel relieved and lay back down on the gurney. Slowly my breathing starts to normalize again. "Is he still alive?", I ask, barely being able to get the words out. "Or did I- .. did I kill him?"

The paramedic looks up to meet my eyes. I can't read his expressions. "So it was you who slapped him with that bottle?" I nod. Does he think of me as a bad person now as well?

He seems to notice the guilt inside of me. "You can be proud of yourself. If it wasn't for you, many more people wouldn't have made it out alive.", he then adds kindly making me feel at least a bit relieved.

That is when I remember the young woman who I saved from that man. Is she still here? I sit up again and ask the paramedic: "Excuse me sir, am I allowed to leave the ambulance and find the woman who was in the store with me?"

"Yes, in a medical context you are cleared to go. Your passing out was just a result of stress and panic. However, the police will still want to talk to you. And there's probably going to be a trauma therapist who is going to be involved", he prepares me for what's about to come. Then he helps me get out of the ambulance and waves goodbye with a kind smile.

As soon as I got out of the ambulance, I see the blonde woman standing not far from me, talking to the police. As I made my way over to them she turns around and our eyes locked paths. I instantly have to smile, her presence is just that comforting. I can see the relief on her face as well. I pick up my speed and slowly run over to them. How am I supposed to greet her? Hey, good to see you alive?

Before I could even say something I feel arms around my neck and I am being embraced by a sudden warmth. The blonde hugged me. I could feel her fast heartbeat like it was my own. It probably only lasted a couple seconds but for me it felt like an eternity. With my nose stuck in her hair, I could really take in the smell of her. And let me tell you, she smells absolutely amazing, like summer, grass.. and sunflowers?

She ends the hugs and looks at me with a weak smile. I mean, you can't really expect people to be super happy after a traumatic event like that.
"I'm so so thankful for you. You saved my life and the ones of all the other people who he would have gotten to, if you hadn't stopped him.", she finally said still holding my arms.

My cheeks blush a little under her steady stare. "I mean I didn't even know what I was doing.. and everybody would have done the same. And I couldn't even prevent him from killing. I saw that man earlier in the parking lot, I should have known he was going to do something. He looked odd ", I confess and and turn to the side, running my hands through my hair.

"That's not true. Nobody can guess what's about to happen in these situations.. and this was definitely not your fault..", she adds calmly, however there seems to be something on her mind. It looks like she was feeling guilty as well. Why? And what was it again the shooter said to her while pointing the gun? Something about him not being able to have her? Did he know her?

I was stopped in my thoughts when the policeman who had listened to our conversation stepped up. "Yes, she is right. There was nothing you could have done to prevent this from happening. You handled the situation really well and saved the lives of many people. I will however need to take your contact information and take a statement for our reports now. And then we will have trauma therapists who will get in contact with you."
The paramedic had prepared me for this so I went on with on of the policemen to give them my statement, while the blonde woman was also led away to gave hers to another.

After that I went on to see the other people who were in the store with us, but actually I was just looking for a specific one. A few of them came to me, when they heard what I had done and thanked me with much gratitude. I've never felt so welcomed like this. But can you really enjoy still being alive when there's 7 people dead and multiple injured?

I went to search for the blonde woman. I need to talk to her again! Maybe a policeman can tell me where she is.
"Excuse me sir, I am looking for the woman who was with me during the shooting. You know the blonde one?", I describe to an officer hoping he would know where I could find her.
"I'm sorry Miss Brown, she got a phone call and was then picked up by someone already.", he informs me.

I suddenly feel sad. I thought maybe we could talk about what happened today over a cup of coffee, maybe even become friends. Aren't these traumatic events supposed to be bonding in a way? Why was she picked up that fast. "Can you at least give me her name and number so I can contact her somehow?"

The officer looks at me apologetically: "Unfortunately she wanted to keep her personal information private from the public, so she wouldn't appear in any articles or photos. So i can't give you a name."

I shrug and then give him a weak smile. "That's okay. If she didn't want to, then I guess there's no need to. Thank you tho." I turn around and make my way to the car. Why does she not want her name to appear anywhere? With a last look at the store I leave the parking lot. Will I ever be able to come back here?

On the drive home i suddenly realize that I was supposed to be at work 2 hours ago. I quickly stop at a gas station and take out my phone. There were many unread messages, mostly from my best friend and coworker Isabella. And also a few from my girlfriend Rachel. Oh god, I completely forgot about her. Shouldn't I have texted her immediately after what happened?

Chat with Isabella:

Isabella
Flo where u at?👀

Isabella
Your shift started 5 mins ago
Your never late?

Isabella
Bitch if you're gonna leave
me alone here...

Isabella
Getting worried!
I called Rachel and she said she
also doesn't know where you are

Isabella
If you're dead.. istg I'm gonna kill you

Florence
Not dead!
Well not me at least

Florence
But I need you to cover for me today.
Will call you later.

_________________

Chat with Rachel

Rachel
Hey baby, Isabella called me.
Where are you?❤️

Florence
I'm on my way home,
will explain later.

__________________

That's it for the third chapter :)
Please tell me your thoughts!🌻

Why didn't the woman want to give her name?

Did she know the shooter?