Salvation

[A/N: Hello my lovely readers! Here is the next chapter for you all! I apologize for the lateness, my day has been completely filled with errands and whatnot. I hope you all are prepared for what is on the way. Before you get started, just be aware that I have slightly altered this scene from the movie to better appropriate the plot! I love you all and hope you enjoy! -K 🖤]

[🌿This chapter contains swearing, perilous situations, and saddening angst.🌿]
***
The undeniable tension in the atmosphere was thick and suffocating as I observed Tom and Santi attempt to convince the civilians away from the net.

From my vantage point on the helo, I could only distinguish tragic shouts and accusations being ruthlessly thrown at both parties. 

The people of the village weren't concerned about the money or the bursting money bags, but rather those that had been mercilessly gunned down next to them. It was proving to be impossible to separate the mourning families from their deceased loved ones.

In order to prevent more unnecessary death, I decided to leave my station on the side of the helicopter. With an adjustment of my legs, I positioned myself over the edge of the helo. Being as cautious as I could, I slid down the curved side as quickly as possible.

I landed on both feet with a pained groan and began to sprint towards the commotion ahead of me, followed by Will who was sprinting to keep up.

After his aggressive and inconsiderate quip just seconds earlier, I couldn't even look at him without feeling years of guilt and remorse for all death toll that I had been the cause of.

Maybe he was right. Maybe this was my fault too.

Screams and tense shouts continued to echo through the valley which caused my stomach to overturn uncomfortably. We were never intended to land or interfere in the farmer's valley, and we had no backup plan in case something like this happened.

Innocent civilians had been murdered.

I hurriedly wiped at my tears and hissed when I ignorantly rubbed my bruised skin. From my right, Benny was frantically approaching with a worried expression. He swung his rifle over his shoulder in a rushed morion. "What happened out there?"

"I-I don't know." I stated, shaking my head and fighting the tightening sensation settling in my chest. "Something went very...very wrong."

I had witnessed my brother shoot into a crowd of innocent farmers.

"Everything just went to shit." Suddenly exclaimed Fish who had caught up on my left side. "I'm- God, I can't fucking believe it..." He whispered, clutching his hat in desperation and trembling with regret.

I affectionately put a hand on each of their shoulders as we quickly walked, attempting to console them, yet feeling no consolation for myself. "We'll make it right. We're going to try our best." I declared, dropping my hands and finally approaching the backs of Santi and Tom.

"Fuck! Fuck, man!" Santi was yelling at Tom who was breathing heavily and staring at the screaming wives who were huddled over their deceased husbands. Santi was speaking rapidly in Spanish, trying to motion the people away from the bodies.

I slowly ventured towards Tom's idle figure. "Tom?" I whispered, watching his dirt-covered face turn towards me in shock. "W-what..." I couldn't ask what had gone wrong or who had shot first due to the tears that were choking me.

He shook his head and stressfully ran a hand through his hair. "I..." He struggled to respond, facing Santi who was looking over at us once more. "We need to get out of here, get the money packed onto mules, and get over the mountains to the ocean."