52. {carpooling with steve}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

march 21st, 1986
davis' residence - hawkins
high

matilda joane davis had anger issues, especially as a kid. she would have outbursts, was always furious and resentful, argued with adults and children her age and was overall a bully. she was a short-tempered, immature girl.

but she always had a reason for this. her brain was wired differently from others, meaning her fuse was much shorter. additionally, she had lost her mother, rosalita garcia-davis, the day before her seventh birthday. since then, she had been in and out of psychiatrist offices.

matilda was undoubtedly troubled. she had spent most of her middle school year terrorising her peers and making fun of them for nothing. however, the events of the past few years had changed her, she was evolving into a better person.

she now had an extended family. people she could depend on, people who would risk their own lives for her, people who would protect her at any costs even though she could defend herself.

you see, not only was her brain connected differently but it was modified due to experiments from when she was a toddler. more specifically, project MKUltra. matilda was mildly pyrokinetic and she had hints of psychic persuasion in her.

the drawbacks of those abilities were: the multiple scars she had, the nosebleed she got, her hair shifting to crimson colour and the extreme fatigue. so, since the battle of starcourt mall, matilda hadn't used her powers to an extreme extent - just to be sure.

she wanted to be a normal fourteen, nearly fifteen, year old.

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"have they replied?" a voice bellowed from downstairs. that was her step-dad/adoptive father. he was now the chief of police, so tilly sees him less. but his salary is better and they're saving up to move up to a better house on loch nora.

he's been quieter lately. but no one blames him, his best friend since high school passed, and the other moved 2,000 miles away to california. again, he's had to put up with calvin powell and phil callahan.

with water droplets trickling down her face, matilda joane davis' head shot up from the water in her bathroom sink. she was in a hurry as her ride was apparently arriving in less than one minute.

"no dad, i sent it three days ago!" the girl called back. with her eyes sealed, she blindly searched around the room for her towel. once she had retrieved it, she instantly brought it to her wet face and smothered herself.