Chapter 29 - Attack

After Pratap left, Dadisa came to see her great grand children and enjoyed some time with them. Dadisa gave some advice to both Anamika and the maids present there about the do's and don'ts and left from there. Once the naming ceremony for the children commenced, she would leave from the palace to continue with her previous life at the temple.

Pratap attended the court and before they could start with the people's complaints and other court natters, he said coming forward, "Ranasa, I know that everyone is celebrating the arrival of heirs but I want all of you to know about the murder attempt on my wife, Anamika yesterday night. It is good that I kept an eye on the suspects beforehand and caught them red handed before they could harm my wife or children."

The ministers were shocked at this information while Ranasa was no less. Ranisa who was watching the court from the side also widened her eyes at this news. Ranasa asked Pratap,"Who is the traitor who dared to attempt treason within the palace? What does this say about our security arrangements? If our Bahuranisa cannot be safe even within the palace then how could our people trust us with their safety?".

Pratap controlled himself before continuing,"Ranasa, It was not anyone who was working for our enemies. Rather it was done by the one who was pretending to be our friend", while everyone was curious to know about the culprit, Yuvraj said,"It's Meenavathi who has plotted this. Not only this incident but the food poison for Ranisa and the previous attempt at Anamika, everything was planned by her accurately".

While the ministers were shocked at the new information and murmured among themselves, Ranisa couldn't believe it and sat at her place shocked. Ranasa didn't look surprised at the information but felt embarassed about not catching the culprit earlier and putting his Bahuranisa at risk.  Pratap clapped his hands which signalled the guards to bring in the person held outside the court. Soon the kitchen maid Mohini was brought in and kneeled on the floor in front of the throne. Pratap asked her to tell what she had done and she confessed about poisoning Ranisa and the attempts on Anamika while pregnant.

Ranasa and ministers accepted the confession and were ready to announce the judgement for the accused when Pratap interrupted and said," Ranasa, there is more to their crimes". While the others frowned, Pratap looked at Mohini which made her cower in fear and she said, " Five years ago, the head maid of Ranisa, Mala came to me and gave some herbs and asked me to mix it in Bahuranisa's food everyday. Initially i didnt accept it but later she offered me money for my child's treatment and I couldn't refuse so I accepted it. After that only I came to know that the herbs were for keeping Bahuranisa from getting pregnant."

Everyone gasped at that as they all know how much the Royal family has suffered due to lack of heir and the coronation of Yuvraj as the king was also delayed. Ranasa couldn't believe that a woman could plan and plot such a thing to another woman. He looked at Ranisa who also looked at him and shook her head saying she doesn't know any of this. He averted his eyes from her as he knows that even if she is not involved in all this directly, it is her because of whom they entered the palace in the first place. It is her because of whom they were encouraged to do such a thing against a royal family member. It is because of her egoistic wish to bring Saudamini as their daughter-in-law that they got overconfident to do such things going against the king without any fears. Till now their relationship was of respect which he gad had for her as a wife and queen but now she has lost her worthiness as both.

Pratap continued, " Ranasa, this is why I don't want her punishment to be instant hanging.  I would want her to live everyday with unbearable pain and die little ny little. Anamika had already cut off her both hands when she tried to strike her. And she was sent to vaidhji (doctor) to treat her and keep her alive. So please I request you to stall your judgement for a few days so that Anamika could also give her opinion on the judgement. Afterall she has the nost right to decide on this".  Hearing his speech, Ranasa agreed with his request and stalled the judgement. Since no one was in the mood to proceed with the court affairs after the shocking incident, Ranasa postpone the pending court affairs for the next day.

Anamika heard of the court proceedings and sighed. She spared the life of Mohini, the kitchen maid only for the purpose of evidence otherwise there is no space for forgiveness when it comes to her unborn child. Her head maid kamala also felt horrible to see her Bahuranisa go through this pain as she didn't know that Anamika already had the knowledge of this. Soon Pratap came to the room to check upon Anamika and the kids. The maids brought the kids from Anamika who is sitting on the bed which is covered by a screen.

One by one Pratap played with the kids and then Anamika put them to sleep when Pratap asked, "Shall I bring the cradles here?". Anamika denied it saying that they will put them in the cradle after the naming ceremony. That's when a maid came to inform that Ranasa has called Yuvraj to the inner court to which Pratap frowned. "Just now they finished the court then why did he call?", with this thought in mind, Pratap went out of the chamber asking Anamika to take some rest.

Pratap entered the inner court and saw that Ranasa is very happy reading a scroll. He called his father and asked him the reason for the meeting.  Ranasa replied,"Goddess Lakshmi has really come to our place in the form of my granddaughter. Pandit ji has predicted it correctly". Hearing Ranasa's praises, Pratap couldn't understand the head and tail of his words. Ranasa explained,"Got the information from one of our Village head that they have found a gold mine while digging a well. This can fill our treasury for decades to come and we can reduce lesser tax on our people". Pratap smiled at that and nodded without speaking much, afterall the grief of the unborn child is still fresh for him.

Suddenly a guard came running into the room without even asking for permission and before Ranasa or Yuvraj could reprimand, he said,"Ranasa, we are under attack".

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys,

Do vote and comment, if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.