Chapter 4: I Think it's Part of the Woodwind Family.

Cross Howler, the alpha of the Howler pack, waited for Rowena to reply

Cross Howler, the alpha of the Howler pack, waited for Rowena to reply. She blinked before tilting her head to one side as if she were thinking his suggestion over.

"You want me to be your concert?" The look of confusion painted on her face almost made him laugh. She was annoying but adorable.

"No, I want you to be my consort."

"That's what I said," she argued. "Concert. Are you trying to get us to role-play again?"

Cross took a deep breath, catching a whiff of her intoxicating scent. He swore this woman was sent to him to test his patience. "No, we are not role-playing and I'm not saying concert, Rowena. I want you to be my consort. Con-sort!"

Her mouth twisted in confusion. "What's a consort?"

Cross wasn't sure how to explain this without having her run off on him. He cleared his throat, hoping to make it sound like the title wasn't a big deal. "You know...it's just a person who is like a companion. Like my right-hand man. Well, in your case it would be my right-hand woman."

"That's it? I thought you said concert at first and I wasn't sure how I could be a concert. Fun fact-I've only ever been to a Lady Gaga concert although my cousin did try making me go to a Ramon Ayala show once. I can't really sing so you'd be totally out of luck if you wanted a concert. I can't play any instruments either unless you count my ability to play Three Blind Mice on a recorder."

"A recorder?"

"You don't know what a recorder is? It's like a flute but not. I think it's part of the woodwind family. Most elementary kids learn to play them."

Cross had no idea why they were talking about musical instruments. "No, I don't expect you to sing or play an instrument. You'd just be like a very close companion. A consort."

Her eyes narrowed. "How close?"

He purposely lowered his voice to below a whisper. "People would think you're my lover."

"I can't hear you."

A growling sound escaped his throat. He forced a cough and repeated himself. "People would think you're my lover."

Her eyes widened and she laughed. "So, this is like a contract relationship shifter romance? I once read a book about that for my book club. I think the title was My Fake Marriage to the Alpha and his Beta. My friend Gina picked it out. It was kind of lame. I'm not a big fan of threesomes."

It was at that moment that Liam, the pack's Beta, entered the room.

"Did she just ask you for a threesome?" Liam growled, pointing a finger at Rowena.

Rowena scowled at him. "What is your problem? I thought werewolves had super hearing. Surely, you heard me tell him I'm not a fan of threesomes!"