Chapter 17: The Gamemaker

Ornately decorated doors of the clinic stood before her as Scarus led Sera up the marble steps

Ornately decorated doors of the clinic stood before her as Scarus led Sera up the marble steps. The doors were opened by two Elite guards standing on each side who both nodded at Scarus while he passed. Sera kept her face blank while observing the interaction, though she was surprised to see them instead of Peacekeepers she was so accustomed to.

Iaso Emley Clinic was a prestigious clinic, she knew but she didn't realize how prestigious it was until that moment. Either that or her next patient was someone of significant importance. She'd admit to herself, the patient had her attention a little. Their identity was still a mystery to her even so she was a little interested like she had gotten a new toy after so many years.

Scarus glanced at Sera who was deep in her thoughts, her eyes downcast, paying close attention to her steps. He reached out for her, thinking she might be struck by another one of her moments, only for her to quicken her pace as she looked up with a gentle smile on her face while greeting the clinic staff. Her sudden changes always surprised him. Everytime, he thought he knew her, she'd change her behavior.

The two came to a halt outside a corridor that was guarded closely and had a glass door barricading it. The guards noticed them and picked up their communicators before a nurse with cobalt blue hair and matching geometric makeup stepped in front of the corridor. She profusely apologized for her lateness, avoiding eye-contact with the guards and Scarus while Sera tried her best to reassure her.

When the doors of the guarded corridor slid open, the apologetic and scared nurse took over as Sera's guide while Scarus slowed his pace to walk behind the two. He kept his eye on Sera's back who pretended he was not there.

"The patient is stable now and is okay to see visitors now. You have two to three hours of visiting time today." The nurse announced stopping in front of the sole patient room in the corridor, the rest of the doors were labeled as 'Utilities' or 'Equipment'. "Please go in."

"Thank you for your service." Sera smiled politely at the nurse who let out a sigh of relief and smiled back. The rumors about Sera were true, the nurse thought as she guided Scarus back to the entrance of the corridor.

Scarus refused to move. "I'm sorry but the patient insisted on seeing Miss Reza alone." He glanced at Sera who gave her guard a sympathetic look, mouthing she'll be fine without him. Inwardly she was happy. She'd free of him for a brief moment of the day.

Reluctantly her guard accepted the nurse's words and allowed her to lead him back. He couldn't help but turn around to check around on Sera who had already gone in, empty-handed for the first time ever to a patient visit. He had a strange feeling that something would change that day and he stopped, thinking of going back but his former colleagues were already in front of him, ready to take him back.

"Ah, Miss Seraphine Reza." A wheezy voice greeted her as she stepped into the room. The owner of the voice seemed to be a man with pale gold hair, his face was marred with some wrinkles, something she found quite peculiar for someone from the Capitol. "I was wondering how long it would take before he sent you." He started coughing as soon as he finished the sentence.