Chapter 8

Sidharth sits in the office room of the Commissioner while he speaks with someone on the phone. Sidharth knows the phone call is from some minister and they are talking about him about the previous night's episode.
Hanging up the phone the Commissioner turns to him.
"What is happening with the case?"
"We found the victim. But he was in really bad condition."
"And he died. I have heard that. Do you know who he was? He was the son of MLA Rakesh Dataraye Fundkar. Do you know how much pressure is on me right now? I had immense trust in you. I knew there won't be any more deaths. But you failed me this time."

Sidharth leans forward towards the table and says, "I am .. sorry if you feel I failed you. I am sure I can catch him. I will catch him. But if you.. if you want, I can leave the case."
"Minister Ajay Agarkar is MLA's brother-in-law. He wants you off the case. He has called the Home Minister. I got a call this morning from him regarding this. Right now, the call was from Ajay Agarkar's PA."
"I can get the files by tomorrow. My team will leave the case immediately. Let me know whom to give the files to."
"I am not taking you off the case."
The Commissioner says and Sidharth lifts his head to look at him.

The Commissioner continues, "We both know there's no one better than you to solve such types of cases. I don't understand how you could let this happen? He called you to give you a clue, right?"
"Yes. He couldn't accept that I saved his earlier victim. He wanted to play some games with me. He threw an open challenge to me by giving me a clue that would eventually lead me to his victim. I solved it and was right on my way to get him. I knew he must be there and I could nab him before he does any harm. But the traffic..."

"Right. Coming to that. I have received a complaint against you for rash driving. You have hit more than 5 vehicles. I know you were going after a criminal but the Jt Commissioner Hemant Pathak is adamant."
"You know why he is adamant."
"Yes. You had exposed his ACP last year. He wants to get back at you."
"So? What does he want? File a case, get me arrested?"
"You know the penalty for the case as per the New MV act. 3 to 6 months of imprisonment. I can't let that happen. So your driving licence is suspended for 2 months and you will have to pay a fine of ₹6000."

Sidharth rubs his temples.
"This is all I could do for you. Hemant wanted me to suspend you at least for a month. I somehow convinced him to be a little lenient as whatever you did was only to stop a crime from happening."
"Thank you Sir."
"Sidharth, the press is making a fuss over this and it will get nasty once they hear what punishment has been set for you. Now that the news of Rahul's death is out, you are suddenly their target. So please stay away from any trouble and away from the press. I am trying to handle the pressure from above. You please catch that son of a b**** quickly, you don't have much time."
Sidharth gives out a deep breath, "I know that, sir and I will."

Sidharth's phone rings on his way to his office.
"Good morning ACP! Oh sorry, Bad morning. Right? I mean losing your licence and giving a fine is not good news. But I had hoped you would end up in jail."
"Hope is a very dangerous word."
"Is it? But do we leave it? I guess we don't. So I hope that you get suspended as well and go to jail. You know why, because you are trying to stop me. My purpose is for the greater good."
"Greater good? Killing people can never be good. Playing God can never be good. Wake up from your misconceptions. You know what, keep living this lie, because that will bring you to me. And then I will not hope but I will physically put you into jail."

"Sir, didn't you tell the Commissioner why you hit the cars? We were trying to save someone."
"But we failed. That's the problem, Bhonsale. You are a hero until you make a mistake. "
"Sir, he was in bad shape. People die. Why are we being blamed for it?"
"Because who died is a son of a MLA. Is there anything else you need to know?"
Ranne says, "Bhonsale, please keep quiet."
Bhonsale, who was about to say something more, closes his mouth and nods his head.