thirty seven

Aurora

I shouldn't have slept so late, now look.

I woke up at two in the afternoon which felt like the Earth was off balanced since I was so used to being up at six in the morning. I stayed in bed for a little while longer until I wanted to face reality and do grown up errands. I had to take my uniform to the cleaners, go grocery shopping, walk my neighbor's dog while he was at work, clean my entire townhome, and get my car detailed.

I was delusional yesterday night to think I could spend my one day off doing absolutely nothing and just sit in my house like a log. Hilarious. I pulled the warm covers off of me and reluctantly dragged myself out of bed to start my day. I started with hygiene and worked with styling my hair and picking out a casual outfit. Since I was already standing in my closet, I went ahead and took all of the uniforms that needed to be taken to the cleaners and set them at the bottom of my bed.

I began cleaning up around my room and bathroom, working my way down the steps and around the rest of the house. I took my uniforms and put them inside of my car, along with the grocery list I made and headed over to my neighbors house to walk his dog. He always offers to pay me but getting to walk Finn, a very adorable three year old Border Collie, was a pleasure itself.

I unlocked his front door with the spare key he gave me that I always kept on my keychain and Broccoli patiently waited in his bed for the release word. "Hi Finn," I cooed which made his tail wag faster and I took his leash and harness that hung behind the door. "Heel," I instructed and he sat directly in front of me so I could put on the harness with no hassle.

I made sure there were waste bags attached to his leash and we headed out the door and down the neighborhood. It felt a bit humid today but it wasn't anything severe. He peed about three times and did his business on a patch of grass towards the end of the street. I picked it up and tossed it into the local waste bin and we continued around the neighborhood for a while so he could enjoy the outdoors until his owner came back in the late evening.

Finn and his dad, Sean, had moved in a couple months after I did and they were delightful neighbors to have. Mainly because Finn was the cutest dog and Sean was very respectful and mostly kept to himself. Being very attractive was an added bonus and every once in a while when we'd cross paths, he would do some lighthearted flirting which I wasn't complaining about. He was a couple of years older than me and definitely had all of the single moms around the neighborhood crushing on him and giggling every time he would wave at them when he went on his daily runs.

Sure living in Amsterdam had its ups and downs, but the only downsides were dealing with the cold weather temperatures and going from rain to sunshine in a matter of moments. Once we completed a third loop around our houses I felt bad for leaving him alone when I was going to be home after my errands. I pulled out my phone and opened messages to text Sean.

iMessage 3:30PM

Aurora: Hey Sean, I just took Finn out for a walk and I had a quick question.

Sean Zelaya: Did he do something wrong?

Aurora: No no of course not! I just had some errands to run today and I was wondering if it'd be alright to have him hang out at my house since you told me you had a late night today? If you aren't comfortable with that I totally understand.

Sean Zelaya: Are you sure? I don't want to put that responsibility on you.

Aurora: It's totally alright, he's such a sweetheart, I just didn't want him to be alone.