Two

Sage Williams

Sage Williams

PAST

The day I met him was like a hot fourth of July.

The school day sucked. I fought my parents and my tears away because I didn't want to get out of the car and go to school. Kids were mean, and I knew that just like my cousins– Slater would be the favorite and I wouldn't be.

I was the kid who swam on the opposite end of the pool because of the fact that she had nobody to play with. Granted, I tried to drown everyone under the water– but Leighton, Baker, Slater, Stella, Drew, Cooper, and Chandler all never wanted to play with me.

Being the only girl out of a group of boys, I could have only dreamt of having a friend who was a girl. Having a friend who would want to braid my hair, want to dress up with me, someone who would want to have sleepovers. It was lonely being the only girl in a houseful of boys.

Did I get the most attention when it came to my aunts at family functions? Absolutely. There wasn't a time that I was not being prodded at for looking like my mom or my dad. My family's favorite thing to point out about me was the fact that I had a snaggle tooth that shot out the front of my teeth.

I was never ashamed of it— it just added extra leverage for me whenever I tried to bite Slater.

On my first day of school, I was nervous but I was so excited. I was excited to finally be able to make friends that were girls. I wanted a friend who would love to go to the aquarium with me or a friend who would read the newest edition of National Geographic.

I had my sister and my older cousin to play dress-up with me but the difference is that they were the ones going out afterward, I stayed inside and cried as they waved by to me.

"Do you like the pigtails?" I heard my sister ask as she stood above me. She was dressed in a uniform matching mine. I was standing on my tiptoes on the tiny step that dad had added for me that way I could see out of the mirror.

I nodded, a smile on my face. "I love them, thank you!" I beamed at her as she smiled. "Okay, do you need anything else before Aunt Natalie and Chan pick me up?" Her lips shine with gloss and her cheeks were pink.