Chapter 3

The Court. It had always confused her why they hadn't called it The Boardroom, not that it looked much like a boardroom. It was large, and magnificent - a fit place for Kings to rule and mete out judgement. Dark oak walls were complimented by rich crimson carpets and tapestries. Torches hung on the walls - the only source of light in a sealed off room without windows. It stood mostly empty, save for a long table at one end of the room. It seated eighteen people, but only three sat there now. They were cloaked in dark shrouds, and they occupied the centre seats closest to the wall, and farthest from her. Scarlett smiled as they gestured for her to stop a few feet away from the table. It was nice to be feared.

She enjoyed it. She wasn't ashamed of that. It was a thrilling feeling to walk into a room, to be able to watch as people bowed their heads, as they turned away. As fickle gossip fell silent and people stuttered over their words in an effort to please. It gave one a feeling of importance, of grandeur. Of respect. A feeling that the three seated in front of her commanded with full force.

Scarlett faced them, chin high, shoulders back, wings tucked away and fangs concealed. She bowed her head. They nodded in unison. A cheap trick - yet it always worked. Scarlett stood silently. She would not be the first to speak.

A man walked towards her from where he had been standing at the door. He was short, with curved, elfin ears, and reeds woven into his red hair. She recognised him as Argul - a servant of The Board who was always up for a laugh. Not that that meant he was happy. Not in the slightest.

He strode past her until her was standing in front of the table, to the left of the three figures. He cleared his throat.

"Scarlett. You have been summoned here to accept a new assignment that The Board has deemed it suitable you undertake."

She nodded. Argul continued.

"The assignment in question requires skills possessed by only you and one other. It involves the kidnapping and successful procuration of information from an influential and well known public figure. Said information will be given to you at a later date, upon capture of your target. Do you accept your assignment?"

"I accept my assignment, and commit to it fully until it's completion."

"The Board is glad to hear it."

Indeed, the three members of The Board present nodded at her again.

"They recommend you begin your assignment to capture the Crown Prince of the Western Lands as soon as your partner arrives."

Scarlett frowned. Partner? She didn't need a partner. She was about to say as much when the double doors on the other side of The Court opened, and Drystan walked in.

Another servant of The Board, Drystan was... infuriating. His easy smile and jet black hair, combined with the tail, made him look like the devil come to woo you. He strode in through the entrance on her right and stood three steps to the left of the door, where he clicked his heels, snapped his shoulders back, and announced:

"The other Sister has arrived, sirs."

Scarlett almost rolled her eyes. She'd forgotten how much she hated all the formalities The Board enforced on them.

Leila entered the room.

Scarlett stared at her. She hadn't seen her in a long time. Her wings had grown, curving into small talons above her purple hair. Her tail flicked calmly behind her. She looked at Scarlett, and smiled.

"Sister!"

"Friend!" she replied, and walked towards Leila. Leila strode towards her, arms outstretched.

As they met in the middle and closed for an embrace, Scarlett turned, nails sliding out, angled for Leila's stomach. In that same instant, Leila dropped into a crouch, blocking her strike and kicking her leg out from under her. Scarlett jumped, somersaulting over her and landing head lowered, horns braced to strike. Leila instead threw her body backwards, thrusting her sheathed scythe down, towards Scarlett. She leapt backwards as Leila stood, unsheathing her scythe and turning to face her in one clean move. Scarlett rushed forward, twin knives now in hand and in a defensive position as she bared her fangs, aiming for the neck. Leila swung her scythe as water began to rise from the floor and detach itself from the walls to gather round the pair. Wind began blow, encircling Scarlett as she ran towards Leila.

Hands appeared on her shoulders, pulling her back. She turned her head. Drystan. When she looked back, Leila was similarly detained by Argul, strands of bark and reed aiding in keeping her still. Scarlett let Drystan hold her. Better they fought later, alone. Their considerable skills would result in a fight that could last for days. She wanted to relish it.

It seemed Leila was having similar thoughts, as the water returned to the building. The wind died down. Scarlett's nails slid back into her fingers reluctantly, and her wings drifted closed behind her back. Leila folded her wings and stilled her tail. Argul and Drystan let go of them, and they both sheathed their weapons, meeting the other's eye with wicked resolve.

Let them think they tamed us, let them think us docile. But let them turn their backs on us, let them leave us alone for even a moment, and we will create ruin.

"This is highly disagreeable."

One of The Board members was standing up. Scarlett turned to face them.

"You two are required to work together to complete your assignment. Failure to do so will result in punishment. You must complete the assignment in the way designated by The Board."

"If I may -"

"You may not."

Drystan lowered his head in apology.

"The Board rules. No one shall dispute that. The Sisters shall complete the assignment together, or face the consequences. Is that understood?"

Scarlett dipped her head sharply.

"Good. Scarlett, your old quarters have been prepared for you. You may sleep there tonight. Leila, Argul will lead you to a guest room, and inform you of your target and assignment. You are dismissed."

Scarlett nodded again, then made her way to the doors on the left, Drystan following closely behind her. As she passed Leila, she pulled up her upper lip, snarling as she revealed her fangs. Leila hissed back at her, and her tail caught Scarlett's leg as she walked past. She smiled as she left The Court.

The Board was right, they did make a good partnership, an efficient and terrifying dynamic duo - but that was the problem.

They were each too good for the other.

                                                                                             ~***~