Chapter Thirty Nine: The Dream

"Dadddyyyyyyyy!" I heard being yelled. I turned to look at the adorable little girl running towards me. When she got close enough, I bent down and scooped her up in my arms, causing her to giggle. "Daddy, I missed you so much!"

"Daddy missed you, too, Melody Bear," I tell her as I hug her close, pressing my nose against her hair, because I have missed the smell of the strawberries and cream kid shampoo that her mother buys her so damn much.

"And what about me?" I hear from behind. I loosen my grip on my daughter as I turn around with her in my arms. I knew she was going to jump at him, and I didn't want her to fall because I was holding her too tight when she did.

And just as I predicted...

"APPA!" she jumped out of my arms and into the waiting arms of my husband. He smiled and kissed all over her face, making her erupt in adorable, little, 4-year-old girl giggles.

It was one of my favorite sounds.

I turned around to look for my wife and saw her pushing an empty stroller with one hand and holding a baby on her hip with the other.

"Sorry," she said when she finally got to where we were standing. "She got away from me. I didn't mean for her to run through the whole damn airport."

I laugh and shrug. "It's okay, beautiful. It was a much better 'welcome home' than anyone else around here is getting."

She laughed and I wrapped my arm around her waist, pulling her close and leaning down to nudge my nose with hers. "I missed you."

"I missed you, too, handsome," she said, smiling as she pressed her lips to mine. "I can't wait until I can go back out on tour with you."

"Neither can I," I told her honestly. "It's so hard without you there."

"Well if the two of you would just stop knocking me up..." she said with a laugh.

"I don't see that happening any time soon," our husband said from behind me. He leaned around me and kissed her softly. "Hey, gorgeous. Missed you."

"I misseded you the most, Appa!" Melody said from where she was wiggling in his arms, tightening her arms around his long, slender neck. "Mommy refuses to play airplane with me."

"Mommy has another baby inside of her," I reminded her. "Playing airplane might hurt your baby brother."

"I don't want that," Melody said, poking out her bottom lip. "Want baby brother to be strong like daddy and appa. But I wanted to airplane to wherever you were. Missed you. Camera face was not enough Daddy and Appa time for me."

I laughed softly at what she called our video chats.

"We're here now, babygirl," I said as I kissed her temple, then took the 2-year-old my wife was holding from her arms. "Hi, Harper," I said, hugging her close to my body.

"Hi, daddy," she said in her cute, little voice, snuggling into my neck. She was a much quieter kid than her big sister. She preferred to just watch and wait until somebody showed her attention. "Missed you."

"I missed you, too, sweet girl," I told her, then pulled back to look at her pale face. She had the light-colored skin, freckles, and strawberry blonde hair of her mother, but had my dimples and eyes that slanted deeply towards the center and half-disappeared whenever she smiled or laughed.

Melody, on the other hand, was 100% her Appa's daughter. She looked so much like him, that she could be his clone. The only part she got from me or her mother were the dimples that matched her sister and a slight smattering of freckles across the bridge of her nose.