Shinobu | Sometimes Hot Is Better

Considering the place you're currently at is called a "festival", you expected the typical aspects that makes it one to be present: loud music, chattering people, delicious food, and sometimes fun games would be offered, along with stalls selling a variety of things like toys and clothes.

The Almighty Arataki Great and Glorious Drumalong Festival is... unique, to say the least.

"Bull-Chucker's festival seems a little sad. Paimon thought more people would show up, but for the past hour, it's still just us, Mamoru, Akira, and Genta..."

You chuckle. "Well, Itto will always be Itto. We can still have tons of fun together though! Like, um..." you trail off, your gaze sweeping the area, "...the Singalong Hill, for one!"

"But where's all the tasty snacks?!"

"We have roasted lavender melons."

Paimon pouts and flies over to Akira, the feedback coordinator, likely to give some criticism on the lack of snacks. You don't blame her for expecting to see a variety of snack options to choose from, especially since this event is supposedly a festival, but some roasted lavender melons isn't so bad...

You're in the middle of eating the only available snack when in the distance, you can hear the familiar voice of the festival host himself—loud and energetic.

You stand up and squint your eyes, able to see a tall figure with red horns and a shorter figure with light green hair.

"Everybody, make way for the almighty Arataki Itto and the ever so reliable Kuki Shinobu!" Itto shouts from where he's at, clapping his hands to gather everyone's attention.

You wave at the two of them, your face lighting up when Shinobu regards you with a nod. "Hey, Shinobu! I was wondering when you'll show up."

"Hey, hey... I'm here too, y'know? You're making this guy's heart hurt." Itto puts a hand against his chest and pouts.

Shinobu sighs through her nose, and shaking her head, she says, "Boss. Why don't you set up the activities? Make them more lively and festive."

He gasps. "Man, my reliable sidekick strikes again! Seriously, what am I gonna do without ya?" He pats her back, causing her to stumble forward from the force.

You steady her by the shoulders and watch as the Oni heads up to Singalong Hill. Some "stupid Bull-Chucker" and "what a dumb Flying Lavender Melon" can be heard, causing you to sigh at the same time as Shinobu.

"Both of our companions are so troublesome," she murmurs. "And thank you for catching me... again."

"I might as well become a full-time catcher at this rate." Laughing, you plop down onto the piece of wood and continue eating the melon.

"Those must be from an hour ago when Boss made them. Here, let me make you a fresh batch."

You don't have time to argue back as she's already taking out freshly picked, plump lavender melons from her bag and stabbing through them with sticks. Salt and pepper is sprinkled over each piece before being roasted over the crackling fire.

Shinobu hands you a stick shortly after. "A skewer for you, (Y/N). Be careful; it's hot."

"Thank you, Shinobu! They smell a lot more fragrant than the ones Itto made." You carefully bite into the fruit. It has just the right amount of sweetness, and although Itto's version is delicious, this is easily your favorite.

"While getting my license as a chef, I learned that some foods are better hot, while others cold," she explains, flipping the sticks over so that the fruits can cook evenly on the other side, "and roasted lavender melons taste much better hot, wouldn't you agree?" She turns to you.

You bite once more into the delectable fruit and hum in agreement. She nods, seemingly satisfied with your answer, as she focuses on the melons again.

"Good. The boys agree too, so I never let any of them eat cold, roasted lavender melons. Now that you're a part of the Arataki Gang, I plan to do the same for you too."

-♡-

I'm currently attending The Almighty Arataki Great and Glorious Drumalong Festival. Roasting and eating some lavender melons with Shinobu at the moment as we listen to Mamoru's constant clapping, so feel free to drop by and say hi!!