xxvii. vecnas curse

Will, Theodore, and El settled into the airport, the air buzzing with excitement as they awaited Mike and Cassidy's arrival

Will, Theodore, and El settled into the airport, the air buzzing with excitement as they awaited Mike and Cassidy's arrival. Cassidy, driven by her competitive spirit, had orchestrated a plan to outpace Mike to California, enlisting Erica for the calculations, given her aversion to math.

Cassidy, brimming with confidence, not only assured Mike of her impending victory but also proposed a playful bet. If Mike won, Cassidy would be tasked with doing his History homework for an entire month. Conversely, if Cassidy emerged victorious, she'd be claiming a crisp $100 from Mike. The stakes added a playful and competitive dynamic to their journey, creating an extra layer of anticipation as they waited for the duo to touch down.

Cassidy packed up her belongings when Lucas barged into her room urgently. "Cass! Where's your money?!" Lucas asked frantically, prompting Cassidy to furrow her eyebrows. "Why would you like to know?" she sassed, checking her watch on her wrist. "I need it! Jason's gonna be pissed if I don't pay him back!" Lucas exclaimed. Cassidy rolled her eyes, grabbed her suitcases, and continued preparing for whatever Lucas had gotten himself into.

"That's a you problem," Cassidy sighed in frustration, waving her hand sarcastically at Lucas as she closed her eyes. "No, Cass, not yet—" he pleaded, but his words were cut off as Cassidy swiftly turned into a cloud of black dust, teleporting herself to California in an instant.

"Ugh!" Lucas groaned in exasperation, left behind in the wake of Cassidy's peculiar departure. Erica, finding the situation amusing, laughed and teased him with a casual "Nerd,"

Lucas turned around, shooting his younger sister a disbelieving look. "You told her to do that, didn't you?!" he quipped, accusing Erica with a raised eyebrow. Erica smirked amusingly, her response delivered with a hint of pride. "You do know I got all those tricks from her, right? I'm a mini Cassidy," she declared, playfully embracing her role as the younger sibling with a penchant for mischief.

Lucas groaned in exasperation and gave Erica a slight shove, trying to shake off the frustration of Cassidy's teleportation antics.

Cassidy opened her eyes, feeling a trickle of blood down her nose. Having strategically chosen a bathroom stall to teleport into, she ensured no one witnessed her sudden appearance in the middle of the airport. Wiping her bloody nose with her sleeve, Cassidy checked her watch again, seemingly unfazed by the unconventional travel experience.

With Mike's arrival imminent, Cassidy quickly ran out of the bathroom and found Will, Theodore, and El still waiting. Sighing in satisfaction, she realized she had successfully made it there before Mike, having fulfilled the terms of their friendly bet.

"El! Will! Theodore!" Cassidy excitedly waved to them, sprinting over. Theodore smiled and quickly got up, sharing a tight hug with Cassidy. She then looked over his shoulder, anticipating El to join in the embrace. "Hey, El," Cassidy smiled weakly at the Hopper girl, who responded with a tight, giant smile, enveloping Cassidy in a warm hug.