Five

Sage Williams

Sage Williams

PRESENT

"I hate it."

I stirred my hot cup of tea around as dad stared at my face. I shrugged, "I really don't give a shit." I took a sip before shooting him a wink. Slater let out a snort.

It was the late morning of our eighteenth birthday. Mom and Dad had proceeded to wake us up by jumping on our beds. They claimed it was because they needed to get in their exercise for the day, but if we are being honest I seriously think it was just because they are trying to live out their youth.

"If I said that to you dad, you would have decked me in the face. Are we kidding?" Slater's tone was laced with annoyance however I just shot him a smirk. I mouthed the words 'daddy's girl' to him as he rolled his eyes.

My parents don't have favorites. Yes, they most certainly had some shitty parenting moments. Like the one time they forgot about my science fair, that was brutal. Mom still apologizes for it, and all though I've forgiven her, she still feels terrible. Dad on the other hand took a whole other approach to it. He actually devoted time to building a larger volcano with me and we set it off together in our backyard.

"I like the piercing. I think it's cute on your little button nose." Mom said, smiling at me. I grinned back, "Thank you! It was worth it. It hurt but I think it's super cute."

Dad glared at mom's approval of it. "I'm sorry but don't you have your nipples pierced mom?" I asked as her face flushed red. Slater made a barfing noise as I laughed.

"Sage, this is completely different—" I cut him off paying attention to mom again.

"And then–" I paused, pulling up my shirt. "I got my belly button done too." Mom squealed as she looked at the gem that was placed on my navel. But as soon as she touched it, dad cleared his throat.

"Sage, are you okay?" He asked.

"Um, yeah. It's my eighteenth birthday. I have never felt freer in my life." I took another sip of my tea. Mom's hand brushed across the side of my face. "I miss your tiny glasses and your snaggle tooth."