02.9

[act two; chapter nine     -     the gold one]

The Amazon jail was at the top of a storage aisle, sixty feet in the air.

Kinzie led Zara and Hazel up three different ladders to a metal catwalk, then tied their hands loosely behind their backs and pushed them both along past crates of jewellery.

A hundred feet ahead, under the harsh glow of fluorescent lights, a row of chain-link cages hung suspended from cables. Percy and Frank were in two of the cages, talking to each other in hushed tones. Next to them on the catwalk, three bored-looking Amazon guards leaned against their spears and gazed at little black tablets in their hands like they were reading.

Zara thought the tablets looked too thin for books. Then it occurred to her they might be some sort of tiny laptops. SecretAmazon technology, perhaps. She found the idea almost as unsettling as the battle forklifts downstairs.

"Get moving, girls," Kinzie ordered, loud enough for the guards to hear. She prodded Hazel in the back with her sword and shoved Zara's shoulder harshly.

The two girls walked as slowly as they could, but their minds were racing. They needed to come up with a brilliant rescue plan. So far neither of them had anything. Kinzie had made sure she could break their bonds easily, but the two of them would still be empty-handed against three trained warriors, and they had to act before they put them in a cage.

They passed a pallet of crates marked 24-CARAT BLUE TOPAZ RINGS, then another labelled SILVER FRIENDSHIP BRACELETS. An electronic display next to the friendship bracelets read:People who bought this item also bought GARDEN GNOMESOLAR PATIO LIGHT and FLAMING SPEAR OF DEATH. Buy all three and save 12%!