thirty

Sunghoon exhaled heavily as he reached the door to his house. The three-day programme had finally ended which meant he could rest for a week at home. He tightened his grip around his briefcase and glanced at Daeun's door.

He had bought her a gift as an apology for being away. He closed his eyes and frowned, "Why am I giving her a gift? I'm not her real boyfriend anyway. She'll think it's weird."

He took a deep breath and rang her doorbell. To his surprise, it wasn't her who opened the door but Areum. "Oh? Sunghoon-ah," the detective stood aside to let him in.

He entered the house and saw Daeun eating chicken with Minhyuk. Daeun's eyes brightened, "Sunghoon! You're back!" She exclaimed happily.

He chuckled and averted his attention to her twisted ankle which was already swollen. She cleared her throat awkwardly, "I sprained my ankle when I was jogging at the park."

He shrugged and took a seat next to her on the couch. He looked at the neurosurgery books on the table, "Were you studying?"

She nodded and fed herself another spicy fried chicken. They both jumped in surprise when Areum's phone suddenly rang.

"What, Ni-ki?"

"Oh, the hitman case?"

"Fine."

She ended the call and smiled at them, "I have to go. It's about your father's case. They found the hitman. Let's go, Minhyuk."

The boy waved at Daeun before following his sister outside. Sunghoon watched as they both left the house and averted his attention to Daeun.

"I heard what happened. It's a relief that the hitman is already found."

"I don't care about the hitman. I want to know who the hell would hire the hitman to kill my father."

"It's alright," he patted her back, "I'm sure Areum will handle it very well."

He then took out his gift box and handed it to her. She took it with curious eyes and opened the box. Her heart fluttered when she saw a snow globe of a patient and a doctor on a rooftop. The two mini sculptures were smiling while looking at each other.

"I had it custom made. It was during our first time meeting each other. On that hospital rooftop."

She grinned, "I love it so much."

Areum arrived at the hospital with her colleagues and greeted the police that waited in the lobby. The policemen escorted her to a VIP room and she bowed at the president who was laying on the bed.

"Areum-ah! It's been a while since I've seen you," Mr Ahn greeted her with a big smile.

"You look alright, Mr Ahn. That's a relief."

"Well, you know your life is at risk when you're the president. I just hope my family is out of danger."

She smiled softly, "The hitman is already being interrogated by my colleague, Detective Ni-ki. All there's left to do is find the culprit who hired the hitman."

Mr Ahn nodded and thanked her, "Since you're close with my daughter, please protect her," he paused for a while and felt his heart racing rapidly. "Actually, I received an unknown letter on my desk the other day. The sender was threatening to kill my daughter."

Areum scoffed and felt anger boiling inside her chest, "I think I know who."

"So you're saying it's either Daeun's ex or her cousin?" Ni-ki asked as he carefully held the steering wheel. They both were heading to the medical school to see the two suspects.

"I handled the hit-and-run case before. Doyun's parents paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to bail him out. That's why he's still walking around Daeun."

"But isn't Daeun's family powerful?"

"Doyun's family too."

The male detective parked the car and they both entered the building. Areum stormed to her husband's lecture hall and saw him standing at the podium so handsomely. She wanted to drool over him but chose to maintain her composed expression.

Ni-ki sighed and called, "Ha Doyun."

The male student stood up in confusion. Areum sighed, "Get out."

Heeseung glanced at his wife worriedly, knowing that there must be something wrong when she didn't even look happy.

Doyun stepped out of the hall and saw the two detectives glaring at him. Areum looked at him up and down, "Why are you suddenly studying here? I thought you graduated with a business degree?"

"It's none of your business. Get lost," he said arrogantly before turning around to enter the hall again. Ni-ki grabbed his arm and tightened his grip around it, "Stay."

"You hit Daeun with your car and I can't believe you have the audacity to be near her. Shouldn't you stay away from her?" She asked again.

"So what? It's not like she owns this school? I can do whatever I want."

"You know that she will not take you back as her boyfriend, right? You can throw away those dreams."

Doyun laughed and glared at her before averting his attention to her belly, "You should be careful with who you mess with. Who knows? Maybe your child won't make it out alive?"

Areum clenched her fists and punched him in the face. Ni-ki held both of her shoulders, "Areum, calm down."

"If you ever hurt my child, I'll kill you!"

Doyun rolled his eyes and went back into the lecture hall.