38.

17-year-old Ahn Heiran lay on the outstretched arm of a boy as she frowned up at the paper she held above her. The homeroom teacher had handed out the forms to all the students in her year and everywhere she went, she caught the buzz of the conversation about it. It was the form that inquired them about their future career choices. They were supposed to list at least five and Heiran thought this might just be the hardest form she was ever asked to fill out. Because Heiran had none.

"I don't know what to do with my life. I feel like I'm not really good at anything... except for picking fights."

Autumn sunshine filtered in through the canopy of the eucalyptus tree and everything was a dazzling theme of orange, yellow, and red.

"Ran?" Heiran could feel the rumble of his chest as he called her name, and she looked to the side only to see him lazily pry an eye open to observe her from behind his lashes. "Are you seriously asking me for career advice when I, myself, have no idea what to do with my life?"

Heiran shrugged leisurely, "What else are boyfriends for?"

A chuckle vibrated from his chest as he rolled over and stared at the sky, "Hmm." He hummed in deep thought, eyes closing shut as if he were about to fall asleep. When Heiran was beginning to wonder if he had indeed fallen asleep on her after several minutes of silence, he mused. "How about a lawyer? Then you will be able to pick fights in court all the time. Legally at that."

She snorted out loud at the thought. That was an interesting way to channel her extraordinary skills at arguing into real life. She wondered how he came up with such ridiculous ideas. She remembered that part of him had charmed her enough to let him into her single life. However, she hadn't realized how serious he was being until he began to talk again. "And you're good at fighting. No one can win a fight against you even if hell freezes over. You will have an amazing career in that profession." He spoke, envisioning the scene.

Heiran laughed perplexedly, "Oh wow. If that's the case, then you should be a prosecutor since you're the only one who can win a fight against me."

"Is that so?" JK asked somberly as if he were gravely considering her idea. Heiran snickered at his act, finding his serious yet pouty expression horridly funny.

"Then I will become a prosecutor so that I can fight with my Ran for the rest of my life." Jungkook finally concluded.

"What?" Heiran stuttered, "Why are you being so cheesy all of a sudden? It's gross."

"You liked that, didn't you?" He asked playfully which she passionately denied.

"Of course not. That was cringe as heck!"

"Hahaha, you liked that."

"No, I didn't!"

"Then why are you smiling like that?"

"I'm not smiling!"

"You are."

"No!"

"You are~"

* * *

December arrived along with the impending trial day. Christmas lights adorned the shops and the streets, alighting them in a warm festive manner, starkly contrasting the bleak gloomy room of Heiran's rented house. After a while, she received the green light to enter her apartment back but even when she did, her abode was home to darkness, something Yoongi didn't mind much. The Legal Assistant was knee-deep in paperwork, researching penal codes and precedents for the brooding prosecutor who had chosen to try her career at being a hermit in her office. Jungkook had moved away, having his own office set up properly in the east section. Minseo and Eunsoo continued to whisper about a certain intern who was no longer present in the east section. Minseo was recently given a minor promotion resulting in her moving to the west section, increasing the average amount of times she bumped into a particular salty assistant more often, much to his and her own chagrin. Heiran spent her days buried in papers and staring up at the whiteboard that showcased the combined efforts of her and her partner. The weather outside her window grew significantly frigid as the days went on. The first snow came soon enough as did the trial day. When it came, Ahn Heiran had never been so prepared in her life.