thirty-one

[ edited ]

Mrs Ahn fed her husband some porridge and smiled, "Thank God your bodyguard saved you, honey."

"But still, I got a sprained ankle," Mr Ahn pouted and opened his mouth when his wife fed him again. They both laughed with each other as they recalled some of their old memories.

Their sweet moment ended when the door to the room opened. Yeongja walked in with a bouquet and containers filled with Korean meals. "Oh? Yeongja-yah," Mr Ahn greeted her with a bright smile.

She bowed and also greeted his wife, "Yejin."

"Thank you for the meal, Yeongja. Where's your husband?"

Yeongja forced out a smile and sighed, "He has some work to handle. I'll make sure that he'll visit you."

Yejin nodded, "Well, thank you for visiting us," she said and continued giggling with her husband while wiping his mouth with a clean napkin.

Yeongja glared at both of them and scoffed. She turned around and 'accidentally' missed her step. She wrapped her arms around Mr Ahn for support, "Oh! I missed my step."

Yejin felt her heart burning with anger. She faked a smile and approached her brother-in-law's wife, "Are you alright, Yeongja?"

"Yeah," the woman breathed out. Yejin's smile faded and she grabbed the woman's hand before dragging her out of the room. Yeongja turned around and stared at her with glaring eyes, "Yah!"

Yejin rolled her eyes and slammed the door close in front of her.

Psychotic bitch.

Yeongja clenched her jaw and cursed at Yejin internally.

[ 34 years ago ]

"Are you excited to meet your future husband, Yeongja?"

"Yes, mother," Yeongja smiled and waited nervously in her seat. Her family had agreed with the Ahn family to marry their son and daughter off. She has had feelings for Mr Ahn for so long that when her father announced she will marry him, she couldn't be happier.

Mr Ahn walked into their private room with his family and greeted her. Yeongja stood up and bowed.

"Is this the beautiful Yeongja?" Mr Ahn's mother exclaimed excitedly. Yeongja nodded and glanced at Mr Ahn's brother who was focused on his plate.

The brother was hot. But her heart was still at Mr Ahn. She cleared her throat and looked at her future husband, smiling shyly.

Mr Ahn smiled back and she could sense it was an insincere smile. He was sad inside.

[ a few months later ]

The usual gathering party Yeongja's parents always held was boring. She escaped the venue and went to the back garden to get some fresh air.

Her eyes widened when she saw her worst enemy, Yejin standing near the pond. Yejin was silently watching the fishes swim. She rolled her eyes and was about to approach when Mr Ahn appeared out of the blue.

Her heart dropped when she saw him taking off his coat and putting it on Yejin. The woman smiled and talked about something to him.

Yeongja turned around and stormed away from the garden. She didn't care if she bumped into the other guests. All she wanted was to get away from there.

She exhaled heavily when Mr Ahn's brother held both of her shoulders. "What's wrong?" He asked in his worried voice.

She gulped down her saliva and pulled him into a kiss before leading him into a bedroom.

Yeongja got into her car and held the steering wheel tightly. "If only I wasn't caught with my husband in that room, I would've married your husband, Yejin."

You took him away from me.

"I have something to tell you," Daeun said as she stopped massaging her ankle. Sunghoon who was watching the TV next to her stopped and looked at her. He gave her his full attention as he waited for her to speak.

"I'm thinking of quitting medical school."

His heart dropped but he wasn't surprised. He knew she wouldn't survive in medical school. Some people aren't meant to enter the school.

"I understand."

Daeun nodded and smiled, "I just feel like neurosurgery is not for me. I should stick with business only. But how do you make neurosurgery look so easy?"

"I'm good at everything."

She rolled her eyes and laughed before lying down. He followed after her and lay next to her. "Why did you become a neurosurgeon?"

"I admire Jay's dad a lot. He's the reason why I wanted to become a neurosurgeon. So I dragged Jay with me. He wanted to open a fashion line before."

"He must have hated you that time."

He laughed and looked at her, admiring her facial features. She caressed his cheek and muttered, "You are handsome."

His heart beat rapidly and it made him uneasy. He instantly got off the couch and walked to the entrance door. She chased after him and held his hand, "What's wrong? Did I say something wrong?"

"I can't be close to you anymore."

"Why?"

"It's driving me crazy. I'm not sure if you would want me to be close to you. I kissed other girls behind you before. And I want to kiss you too. Not because of the everyday rule we have to follow but I really really want to kiss you."

He took a deep breath, "I have feelings for you. And it drives me crazy because I've been searching for you for months."

She looked at him, feeling speechless to mutter any words. She took a few steps toward him and exhaled, "So kiss me."

"What?"

"I've also been searching for you ever since we met on that rooftop. And it's driving me crazy that we're just in a fake relationship. I want it to be real."

He dropped his coat and rushed to her before pulling her into a passionate kiss. It felt like flowers started growing in his chest causing the butterflies to fly around. He smiled in between the kiss and held her close to him, making sure she would never go away.

Or else, he would have to search for her again for a long time.