3

As I walk towards my locker, I see Steve and Nancy kissing. I mind my own business as I keep walking. I get to my own locker and put my math textbook inside it. When I close the door Steve is standing there.

"Hey, Sugar," Steve greets. "Surprised to see you here."

"At my locker?" I ask.

"At school," Steve clarifies.

"Why?" I question.

"You've been skipping a lot with Jonathan," Steve tells me.

"It was one day," I tell him. "And his brother is missing. He just needs a friend."

"Sure," Steve says.

"Saw you and Nancy kissing in the hallway," I tell him. Steve smiles widely and I swear I can the smallest bit of a blush on his cheeks. "You make a cute couple."

"You really think so?" Steve asks.

I shrug my shoulders. "So long as you don't mess it up."

"Me?" Steve asks. "Why do you think I'm gonna mess it up?"

"Because you're you, Steve," I tell him. "I can't imagine your friends like her too much and I can't imagine Barb likes you too much."

"You don't think I can be a good boyfriend?" Steve asks.

"Are you her boyfriend?" I ask.

"I... We haven't put a label on it," Steve tells me.

"Do you want to be her boyfriend?" I question.

Steve smiles like a dork. "I really like her."

"That why I overheard people talking about what you two did last night?" I ask.

"Who was talking?" Steve asks. I look at him for a moment. "Candice, who was talking?"

"Who do you think?" I question. "Your stupid friends." Steve sighs. "Probably shouldn't have had sex with a girl somewhere your friends could hear you."

Steve leans back on the lockers. "Nancy is gonna be upset if people find out."

"So don't let them find out," I tell him.

Steve nods. "Yeah. Yeah."

"I'll see you later," I tell him. "I've got English."

Nancy walks into our history class and sits down in front of me. She looks around for a moment before turning to face me.

"Candice," Nancy says.

I look up from my book and at her. "Yeah?"

"Do you know where Barb is?" Nancy asks.

"Shouldn't you know?" I ask. I take a breath. "Sorry, that was mean. I meant she is your best friend; didn't she tell you where she was going?"

"You haven't seen her anywhere... at all?" Nancy asks.

I shake my head. "Not since you guys got to Steve's last night."

"You didn't see her leave?" Nancy asks.

"No. I went inside like ten minutes after you showed up," I tell her. "You haven't seen her all day?"

"No," Nancy tells me.

I can tell she is worried.

"I'm sure she's fine. She's probably just skipped today," I offer. "Even the best students just need a day of extra sleep."

"Yeah." Nancy nods. "Yeah, probably."

I walk with Jonathan to his car. I'm surprised he's lasted at school all day. It's just too much for him since they still haven't found Will. I don't think I would be able to pull myself out of bed every morning if I was him.