Chapter 20

When Hope headed downstairs the next morning,  she found Klaus in the kitchen, pulling out baking ingredients. "What's all this?"

"Now that you are back and are working on finding my family, my hybrids are doing everything I want, and I woke up with a desire to make beignets. Have you ever had one?" Klaus asked.

"I have. I love them" she admitted, walking closer.

"Do you know how to make them?"

Hope's lips parted open a little, and she shook her head slightly. "No I don't. You know how?"

A soft chuckle escaped the hybrids lips as he looked at her. "I do. I may not need to consume human food, but it is something I enjoy. And whatever I tend to favor, I learn how to cook." He informed her. "Come over here, and I will teach you"

She walked over to him and smiled before starting to follow his directions.

"So when were you first introduced to beignets? Did your parents bring you to New Orleans? You mentioned you were from Louisiana" Klaus said

Hope nodded. "They did, and my dad introduced me to beignets when I was seven" she told him, remembering the table covered in far more beignets than she could eat.

"So have you gotten any closer to figuring out where he is keeping them?" Klaus asked after a few minutes. 

"Magically, no. Something is blocking me from being able to find them. I might be able to write something to override it, but chances are magic isn't the answer to finding them."

Klaus sighed. "Wait you said magically, no. Does that mean you have another idea?"

"I do. Unless you're me with a raw amount of power, you're gonna need a good place to channel magic. Enough to conceal four coffins. I'm working on narrowing down the locations in Mystic Falls and surrounding areas. I doubt he went far" Hope said. "If we still can't find them, I'll expand"

"You are quite smart, Hope" Klaus said, pleased.

"A smart boy once said that I should use my brains instead of punching every problem. He'd think this through. And since I dont have him here to consider these things, I made sure to take the time to try to figure this out"

"I imagine this boy is your lover, Landon?" Klaus questioned

Hope nodded a bit as she mixed up everything. "Yes" she confirmed. "I'm gonna find your family. You're going to get them back"

"Thank you, Hope" Klaus said. "You have done far more than you've needed to do and have not really asked anything in return. You truly are far too good to be spending time with me" But he did not wish for her to go.

"And perhaps everyone needs some good in their lives" was her response. "Alright, I think I mixed this enough"

Klaus moved over and helped continue getting it ready. Soon the beignets were baking, and Hope washed her hands off in the sink, thinking. So if Rebekah is daggered and in the custody of Damon Salvatore. And you said there were four taken, who is in the mystery coffin? Finn, Elijah, Kol.... There's a fourth" Hope looked at him. "You don't have to tell me. I'm just... curious"

Klaus was silent for a long moment. "Follow me" he said. "I'll hear when they are ready"

He headed upstairs to his art gallery. Hope stepped inside and looked around again briefly before focusing on Klaus. "What is it?"

"My mother is in the last coffin. Her body. I..." He hesitated. "I stored her body, but the rest of my family doesn't know about it. The coffin is sealed securely."